what size used / vintage outboard should I buy

pfeffer

Cadet
I am in the process of restoring an 18 foot aluminum deep v runabout. It is a Lonestar Eldarado 18 and I am looking to put a 1970's era long-shaft Evinrude outboard on her. I am looking at used motors and I have the ability to purchase a 85 hp or a 135 hp from a trusted source. I will be boating on lake Michigan - doing some fishing, skiing and tubing with the family - what size engine should I purchase is the question I am asking? I am a sailboat guy and I have little practical knowledge of motor boating and I do not want to purchase something that I will outgrow. Kindly let me know your thoughts.

thanks! Adam

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would buy a 90's or newer. mid 80's is when they went from crank rating to prop rating and standardized the clamp mount

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A V4 engine would be good on that boat. I would try to get the larger one. I think some years went up to 140HP.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A 1984 model 115 / 140 HP model Johnson or Evinrude would be a good choice.-----A simple and smooth running engine.----I assume you as a sailor would want to do your own work.

pfeffer

Cadet
A 1984 model 115 / 140 HP model Johnson or Evinrude would be a good choice.-----A simple and smooth running engine.----I assume you as a sailor would want to do your own work.

Yes I would like to get my hands dirty and be responsible for maintaining the outboard. Told that I should stick with Evenrude and Johnson by others and try to avoid older Mercs. I would love to find models in the 80's that are reasonably priced and I will keep looking. The big question is how big of an outboard can I put on an 18 foot boat? If I find an awsome 135 or 140 will I be way over powered? the boat is 18 feet long, with a 85" beam. The manufacturer is out of business and this thing was built in the late 50's or early 60's - thus no max hp rating plate on the boat.

Scott Danforth

Staff member
use the HP calculations http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/33CFR_HP.html

assuming your transom is over 20" tall

(2 x Boat Length x Transom Width) - 90

so if your transom is 85" and over 20" tall, you can run a 160hp

if your transom is less than 20" tall

(0.8 x Boat Length x Transom Width) -25

that means you can run a 75hp

however if there was a capacity tag on the boat, I suggest you find out what it was rated at.

also, you have started multiple threads on the same subject. thats against the rule.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Your location has a lot to do with finding a suitable motor.-----Older motors are popular where one or more shops are willing to maintain them.-----That 18 footer should easily handle a big V-4.-----Perhaps apply for a rating plate for the boat.------Myself I prefer one of those motors in " as is " condition for less than $500, much less in some cases.-----Rebuild it and then you know what you have.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Deleted the duplicate topic you started in the Resto forum as its a repeat of your 1st post in this topic.

refrain from duplicating topics.

if you want to start a topic about Resto/rehab of the boat itself, but oeave motor discussions here in the outboard forums.

pfeffer

Cadet
use the HP calculations http://newboatbuilders.com/pages/33CFR_HP.html

assuming your transom is over 20" tall

(2 x Boat Length x Transom Width) - 90

so if your transom is 85" and over 20" tall, you can run a 160hp

if your transom is less than 20" tall

(0.8 x Boat Length x Transom Width) -25

that means you can run a 75hp

however if there was a capacity tag on the boat, I suggest you find out what it was rated at.

also, you have started multiple threads on the same subject. thats against the rule.

Cheesehead -thank you so much for providing these calculations - I plan on going out into the chicago cold tonight to measure the transom depth. Sorry for cross posting. New to motorboating and new to this site. I will do better in the future. FYI I am likely buying an outboard from Wisconsin and when I go there I always get myself a cold Spotted Cow beer and a plate of cheese curds.

pfeffer

Cadet
Deleted the duplicate topic you started in the Resto forum as its a repeat of your 1st post in this topic.

refrain from duplicating topics.

if you want to start a topic about Resto/rehab of the boat itself, but oeave motor discussions here in the outboard forums.

sorry about that !!

Scott Danforth

Staff member
Cheesehead -thank you so much for providing these calculations - I plan on going out into the chicago cold tonight to measure the transom depth. Sorry for cross posting. New to motorboating and new to this site. I will do better in the future. FYI I am likely buying an outboard from Wisconsin and when I go there I always get myself a cold Spotted Cow beer and a plate of cheese curds.

spotted cow is ok, however get some Door County Polka King

Plenty of mid 80's, mid 90's motors in WI cheap. just need to keep a look out. Most are still listed in the newspapers by their original owners.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Pfeffer, OB motors came in multiple cylinders, usually linked to HP, and loosely to year made. In general, smaller HP motors were inline 2 and 3 cylinders. Larger motors were V4 and V6 engines.

In the 70 and 80s motors as you prefer, Your boat could run on a 3 cylinder OB motor, but I think you would be happier with more HP.

A V4 engine made by Johnson/Evinrude is one of the best ever made. The best ones (IMO) came in HP from 90HP to 140HP. A standard 18 footer like you have ought to be able to handle any of those.

If you can find your way to buying a motor made in the 90's, and still want Johnson, the 60 degree V4 engines, up to 130HP were very good.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The 73 models were not the best in my opinion.--------Not many parts from a 72 will fit and not many engine internal parts from a 74 model will fit !