Best Gasket Sealer ?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If in need to perfectly seal a head gsaket between both mating surfaces, the ones without the double side sealer coating OEM ones comes factory delivered with, which aviation brand sealer and type would you guys recommend

How about this one : Permatex 80019 Aviation Form-A-Gasket No 3 Sealer ?

Happy Boating

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I think all gasket sealers would burn on a head. Most head gaskets are asbestos or composite metal.

The only exception is the heads on the loopcharged 60* V motors from the nineties, which use an oring as a head gasket. What motor are you discussing?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Gee, I think all gasket sealers would burn on a head. Most head gaskets are asbestos or composite metal.

The only exception is the heads on the loopcharged 60* V motors from the nineties, which use an oring as a head gasket. What motor are you discussing?

It's a 2 stroke 300 CC OB. According to the product info can be used to seal gaskets. It's bit thicker than lacquer, easy to apply. Holds up to 400F temperature.

Also found this one : Permatex 80062 High Tack Gasket Sealer ?

Thanks,

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
you dont already have a container of Permatex 1, 2, and 3 (aviation) in your tool box along with RTV black, blue, gray and copper and some tef-gel, locktite 242 and maybe some pipe dope?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Nope Scott, I'm not that Pro mechanic..LOL!! Usually order stuff when in need of something special for a specific task such as this one.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Pros get paid

I turn wrenches as a hobby

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Does the OEM recommend sealer when replacing the head gasket? I know when I replaced the head gaskets on my old 4.3 with Fel Pro marine gaskets they did not recommend sealer but getting the sealing surfaces perfectly clean.

Ps I would not use any sealer that has copper in it due to the possibility of galvanic corrosion between the copper and the aluminum head/block.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If OEM should not, comes with a 2 sided sealer coat that melts when engine heats up, this particular gasket comes without, will be just a thin layer coat at both sides with included can brush.

Happy Boating

dwco5051

Commander
you dont already have a container of Permatex 1, 2, and 3 (aviation) in your tool box along with RTV black, blue, gray and copper and some tef-gel, locktite 242 and maybe some pipe dope?

With at least two of them with no cap and too hard to use, one tube split and all over the tools in the top tray, and the pipe dope with a loose lid making everything in the bottom tray sticky.:eek:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
With at least two of them with no cap and too hard to use, one tube split and all over the tools in the top tray, and the pipe dope with a loose lid making everything in the bottom tray sticky.:eek:

Those materials should be stored away from a tool case, happened same with a small can of black paint not sealed well and the spill covered some of my most used tools. Bad music..

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Look carefully at the gasket for any 'Do Not Use' writings. Sometimes sealers cause leaks, or blockages