Can I use a 20-inch shaft motor?

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was out on the water this weekend and unfortunately my 115hp Johnson (J115TLCRD) seized up, so I am now in the market for a pre-owned motor. I have a few question though.

1. My current outboard is a 25-inch shaft, but does not sit down all the way on the transom. There is about a three-inch gap between the top of the transom and the lip of the motor bracket. My boat is a 19.2ft 1995 Key West Sportsman 1900. Can anyone tell me whether I would be able to put a 20-inch shaft motor on this hull or if I need to stick with a 25-inch? Or point me to a good place that explains how to measure the transom properly to determine this for myself.

2. I found a 150hp Yamaha motor, but my cables and throttle are OMC. Can I make them work together with some sort of universal adapter or will I need to replace the throttle and cables to match this motor?

3. Given what I already have, would it be best to find a Johnson/Evinrude as a replacement, instead of trying to match up a different brand motor?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Measure your BOAT.-----If the transom is 20" high then you need a long shaft motor.----It sounds like your boat has a 20 " transom.----Post what you measure.

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
I think the model number you posted is a 20" shaft..... If it were a 25" it would have a X in the model number....

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Outboards shafts and transom heights are relative to each other.

Although a Short shaft is 15", Long is 20" and a XL is 25" could vary some between engine manufacturers. In reality doesn't mean that boats transom will match accordingly. As we have seen a short transom could be manufactured from 15 to 17", a Long 20 to 22 and a XL 25 to 27. Will depend entirely on the height the boat manufacturer wants to give.

Happy Boating

PensacolaJason

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I measured the transom from the top to the bottom and it looks like it’s right around 22 inches. Does that mean a 20-inch shaft motor will work?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If you're asking if it will work, will work powering your boat. That doesn't mean that will power it 100% spot on as won't possibly know based on a dry installation at which lower leg height will water flow pass at speed once boat is on plane.

It it possible to test it before buying and check its water performance as usually loaded on a wot run on flat calm water cond ?

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
How about a pic??? The model # you posted is a 20" motor and if its a 25" its had a aftermarket 5 " section added. It would be easier to find a mid 80's motor with bad lower and swap powerhead.