Yellow Duralux M739 Primer

emarshbuck

Seaman
My gear housing on my 25HP Tohatsu motor has quite a bit of corrosion which I want to remove and repaint. My local boat repairman recommended zinc chromate primer. This seems to be impossible to find here in the Low Country of SC.

I found a gallon of this "zinc like" primer at a local hardware store. However, it's yellow. Do you think the Tohatsu motor housing paint would be able to cover this color? I really don't want to have a yellow gear case housing (not that there's anything wrong with it!)

Would this paint be any better at corrosion resistance than Rust-0leum oil-based protective enamel, since I'm going to cover it with the Tohatsu silver grey paint?

I have cleaned both anodes which are on the engine. Looks like they were never cleaned.

thx

82rude

Rear Admiral
Zinc Chromate is yellow(yellowish green).Simply order on line from several sources like the bay,amazon ,iboats?,dupli-color,etc.Seems like the m739 is also a zinc chromate primer ,also comes in red I believe.

emarshbuck

Seaman
found a gallon at the local hardware store that was sitting all by itself in the back of the warehouse....they were glad to get rid of it for $10.....even shook it for me.....I'll cover the yellow with a rust-oleum silver oil based primer....then spray some tohatsu color on that....

thx

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
And why did the gearcase get the corrosion? You need to answer that and solve that issue, or it will repeat.

Do you leave the gearcase in the water? Can it be tilted up to keep it out of the water?

82rude

Rear Admiral
I f you insist on putting on a extra coat of primer why not use an epoxy based primer?As a matter of fact if you had of went to a auto paint store you could of got a grey primer epoxy based that works on aluminum on its own and skipped the yellow all together.I would not use a oil based primer on my lower and then top it with a dissimilar top coat.Epoxy based primers and paint are so much superior and only fractionally more pricey .