Did BRP make carburetted two strokes?

Tommo

Seaman
Hello, I am curious because never found a clear answer on this. After BRP took over running of Johnson/Evinrude following the OMC bankruptcy and started selling small two-stroke outboards, where these outboards leftover stock made by OMC or did BRP actually manufacture these motors themselves?

So I have a Johnson 2003 6hp 2 stroke with BRP stickers and made in USA but was this motor in fact made in lets say 2000 and just badged 2003 when sold by BRP?

Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Motor should have a manufacture date on it, not a model year.
But were these actually made from previously manufactured parts, then assembled later????

I doubt they had enough left over motors, or parts, to carry them through the 2007 model/manufacture year.

I do hope we get an accurate and detailed answer.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
The parts and pieces of many motors were the same year after year.------Not a bad thing at all.------There seems to be the idea that " new is better " and I disagree.------Note that it is easier to get some parts for motors they made 40 years ago than motors made in recent years.------Why the question ??-----Most motors from the big manufacturers are the same year to year.-----Decals change almost every year.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
isnt BRP buying its sub 40 motors from Tohatsu like Merc, Nissan, and everyone else

racerone

Supreme Mariner
They ( Evinrude ) are doing that now.----Small < 10 HP 4 strokes are offshore products.------Rumour I hear is that a 10 HP E-tech is in the works.--------I know how to repair newer motors.----For simplicity give me a 63 model 5-1/2 or 10 hp Johnson.-----Easy to repair / cheap to own.------But If you know nothing about motors and have no tools then new with warranty is the best option !!!

82rude

Rear Admiral
Etecs are all brp.Small 4 strokes are tohatsu.So from 15hp to 300hp are made by brp (2 stroke).Ive had a 7 year love affair with a 60 hp etec and we will never separate :)

Tommo

Seaman
Thanks for the replies, I know the small Johnson two strokes were basically unchanged all through the 1990s into 2000s. Cant beat that simplicity! I was just curious to know if my 6hp was made by OMC or BRP

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Come on guys.
He specifically asked about JOHNSON 2 stroke motors from BRP buyout until Johnsons were discontinued ( in 2007 ? ).

Not asking about E-tecs, or current model engines.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I believe JOHNSON 2 STROKES were just that Johnson.BRP took over and still produced Johnson /Evinrude till etec came along .

boobie

Supreme Mariner
E-Tec was being produced before BRP took over. I know, I was working for OMC. But it was called Ficht..

82rude

Rear Admiral
Brp took a crap system and made it better in every respect.I personally know 2 dealers that went mercury because they could not in good conscience sell a ficht.One has stayed merc and the other went over now to Yamaha recently .Most people know the full story and chain of events so I will not open up that story.

Last edited:
G

BRP really shot themselves in the foot when they made it harder for OMC dealers to remain Evinrude/Johnson.
My dealer who retired the business as a result, said BRP just inacted thier corporate-wide policy of requiring dealers to have "X" amount Merchandise in stock, whether they could move it or not, or they couldn't keep thier franchise.

This rigid policy forced many dealers to become Yamaha, Suzuki and Merc dealers who offered more flexability.

BRP doesn't seem to care either, Their advertising is non-existent in the boating publications. They have very little "factory Installed with " contracts with boat builders, and own no boat builders of themselves. This is why their market share is poor compared to Merc, Yammer, Zuki and Honda.

They have a great product, but they have no interest in promoting it. I don't think many new boaters know what an Evinrude is, except maybe just a relic from the past.

havoc_squad

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I'm curious if that is why I hear about recently more service shops de-certified to do BRP late model outboard service or be a dealer.

Some of these might be because of incompetence left unresolved or dishonest business practices. However, I can easily see certain dealers/service shops pushed out of selling them.

If businesses act practically, they are usually not going to commit financial suicide by going all in to promote a certain manufacturer. They very likely will attempt offer alternative marketable products that allows them to meet the needs and pay the bills to stay in business.

If need be, that may require saying goodbye to a certain product line.