Will I need to winterize in Colorado Springs?

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
20015 Stingray bowrider
Yamaha F250 OB
Most definitely will be making the move from Fl to Colorado Springs. Been out there a few times to check things out and look how the boating will be, Not Fl ocean, but still some good choices. Looking in the Colorado Springs / Manitou Springs areas.
Winters aren't too bad in that area, but will I have to / should I winterize the outboard?

Thanks for the guidance

USA_boater

Petty Officer 1st Class
Doesn't an outboard drain out when you lower it down? If so then what's there to winterize other than lower unit oil, engine oil and fogging the engine and/or spark plug holes? Not sure what people do for outboards as far as pink antifreeze if that's what you mean? Perhaps they leave the engine tilted up to hold it all winter in for anti-corrosion effect?

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Doesn't an outboard drain out when you lower it down? If so then what's there to winterize other than lower unit oil, engine oil and fogging the engine and/or spark plug holes? Not sure what people do for outboards as far as pink antifreeze if that's what you mean? Perhaps they leave the engine tilted up to hold it all winter in for anti-corrosion effect?

That is winterizing. Plumbers anti freeze is going above and beyond. Does it get to 32F in Colorado Springs? If so do the above. Fogging is preparing the carbs and cylinder walls for a long period of not using the engine so I'm told.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
It gets below 32 degrees in Colorado springs quite often during the winter, I have been there in February when it was less than 10 degrees and constant 30 mph winds, I have been there when there was a foot of snow on the ground, so yes it gets cold. As far as winterizing an Outboard, you should fog the carbs and change the lower unit oil, just like I do here in the Rocky Mountains of Montana. Nothing extraordinary needed, but you want to make sure you have any water out of the engine and the carbs are fogged and protected from condensation.

Normal maintenance will keep your motor in good shape and have you prepared for the next season. Just don't get complacent because you are not up in the mountains because you are not really that far from Denver and remember there is a reason they call it the mile high city, you are in the plains and the front of the southern rockies and it can get darn cold there.

mr 88

Commander
Depending on where you store it a good way to cut down on the condensation is to leave the motor cowling off or partially lifted to allow air in and out. It acts like a terrarium if latched down when the temperature changes . I have access covers on the top of my inboard motor boxes and leaving them open and the hatches partially moved allowing a bit of air flow has eliminated 99% of the condensation.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Yes, colorado freezes, so you will be winterizing

On an outboard, run tank low, lower motor, chainge gear lube, fog if you want..... Equals winterized

Lowlysubaruguy

Chief Petty Officer
One thing you have to do when winterizing pipes is to flush with your antifreeze let it drain pump out as much as possible and do it again even a third time in some systems. What happens is the water in these areas dilutes the antifreeze which alters its freezing point. It is very week antifreeze nothing like a cars antifreeze when it comes to protection levels. A repeated flush will help reduce the amount of dilution that occurs. Also this pink stuff is for pipes not engines. One of my boats water pickup ports are on the bottom of the hull I use a telescoping motor flusher designed for inboard engines with the water pick up on the hull. I made a short garden hose and use one of those 7 gallon water jugs from walmart for camping with a threaded nipple from the hardware store that fits the jug and the garden hose allows me to flush all three of the live well pick ups better. My larger boat has three live wells and a wash down pick up so theres a lot of piping valves and pumps to protect. Its the winter your not expecting that will freeze your stuff better to be protected for the worst possible temps.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, to winterize a 4 cycle outboard:

Add fuel stabilizer to fuel tank in proper proportion.

Run motor on flusher to allow stabilized fuel to get into motor.

Run motor up to operating temp.

Spray fogging oil into engine air intakes, until she smokes pretty good.

Stop motor and remove flusher.

Now leave motor in operating position and drain gearcase oil and refill. Use a synthetic Marine gear oil.

Drain engine oil, and replace oil filter. Replace engine oil with new oil of proper type. Usually a FC-W marine oil.

Grease zerc fittings on motor and lubricate steering rod.

Disconnect and charge battery.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks for the replies guys! I know it gets cold out there, but since the air is dry, would moisture still be an issue, it appears that it will,
If it all plans stay on track, then will be out there end of July, so will have some time to get settled and enjoy the boat before putting her to bed

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Change gear oil AND motor oil. Change oil filter and fuel filters...then you are done. Keep motor upright so water doesn't freeze in lower unit.

Not sure why people are talking about anti freeze....it's an outboard.

Last edited:

wahlejim

Master Chief Petty Officer
+1 on not using antifreeze. Completely unnecessary. Our family boat survived 30 Wisconsin winters without a drop of the stuff. The only thing I would add that hasn't been mentioned yet is to remove the prop and grease the shaft. We kept our prop off every year because we were worried about theft where it was stored.

StingrayMike

Petty Officer 1st Class
I really appreciate all the advice I have received. when its time, I will go back to these posts.

thanks again