Back up motor

Recently purchased our first boat -- a used 17' Mirrocraf skiff w/ outboard Force motor. The boat included a non-operational 55 thrust bow mount trolling motor which has been called too corroded to (sensibly) repair. I'm nervous to set out on the saltwater with an unfamiliar used motor without some sort of back up motor. I recall my dad running a small outboard next to the larger outboard on his boat year ago.

Do most of you have a backup motor of some sort (besides an oar!) when you go out? What is a smart, versatile and economical approach to take here? Is it to buy a used good quality bow mount or transom mount trolling motor (why are bow mounts more expensive?) or is it to mount a small 3-5 hp gas motor on the transom next to the larger Force?

Thanks in advance for your considerate advice.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I bought my first boat I equipped it with a brand spanking new Evinrude outboard. In the first 2 years the motor died twice. Although it was covered in full under warranty, and it had nothing to do with poor maintenance or another fault of mine, it was not a nice experience. Having no power and looking downstream seeing the mist rising from Niagara Falls only 2 miles away is nerve wracking....

That was 1968. I have had a kicker (stern mounted gas engine) on every single boat I have owned since then. In the early 1980's my little kicker got me home twice, again with warranty repairs on a brand spanking new Mercury sterndrive.

My current ride is a brand new Boston Whaler, and the kicker was installed before our maiden voyage.

Of course, your choice. In my case there is no other option.

alldodge

Staff member
Opinion because that's what your asking for

You could have the nicest newest boat ever, with best all updated new motor and it may just stop running, Having a smaller kicker motor to help along if it dies, is a good idea, but not necessarily a great one. If weather is good, wind low and seas calm you may be able to make it back safe.

If winds or seas kick up, that little motor is not going to help much. If you had a twin engine boat that needed both motors to run efficiently on plane and one died, the one left over does not have enough power to run the boat much past plowing.

So an extra motor beats the heck out of an oar, but it is not a save all if things get rough. Have your safety gear ready and in good order. If something happens, an epirb and good life jackets will keep you safe in most cases

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A good anchor rode, towing insurance, and enough beer for the tow back

DouglasW

Petty Officer 1st Class
My opinion, get towing insurance, about $150 a year and might be cheaper than buying and maintaining a spare motor.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A 17 footer is a bit small for a kicker, IMO. An oar will be useless in any kind of wind. Try it some time.

Towing insurance, a means to contact the towing company (cell, VHF) and most importantly, a good anchor and line to keep you away from hazards until the tow arrives are my recommendation.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Unless you are on a small body of water, forget using an electric trolling motor for backup. They just don't have the speed or range that a small kicker would provide. A 9.9 or 15hp kicker mounted on a bracket would work ok for you.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Towing insurance, anchor, VHF, yada yada surely are required. We all need to take all possible precautions to be safe.

The problem is that what happens if you are drifting toward the rocky jetty, nobody is around and Towboat is still 30 minutes away?

My kickers are set up to propel me good enough to cover "most' all situations. Now, if gail force winds come up, even Towboat is going to have a problem. I try to prepare so I don''t end up in that situation. (I always check the weather radio for what that's worth).

Everybody has an opinion. Personally no boat I ever own will be without a kicker, except my jetski or oldie that has oars and a kicker won't fit. The extra expense is of no concern as long as the family is safe.

Maybe I wouldn't feel that way if I never had a problem, but it is what it is...

82rude

Rear Admiral
Depends on where you are for tow ins.Where I live its totally useless.First choice for me is a kicker that is strong enough to propel the boat at a fair headway.Where I boat mostly a cell phone is useless also.If I was to boat on the st marys river a cell phone would have approx. 10 agencies from 2 country's falling all over each other to rescue you which is very reassuring .

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I bought my first boat I equipped it with a brand spanking new Evinrude outboard. In the first 2 years the motor died twice. Although it was covered in full under warranty, and it had nothing to do with poor maintenance or another fault of mine, it was not a nice experience. Having no power and looking downstream seeing the mist rising from Niagara Falls only 2 miles away is nerve wracking....

That was 1968. I have had a kicker (stern mounted gas engine) on every single boat I have owned since then. In the early 1980's my little kicker got me home twice, again with warranty repairs on a brand spanking new Mercury sterndrive.

My current ride is a brand new Boston Whaler, and the kicker was installed before our maiden voyage.

Of course, your choice. In my case there is no other option.

My Dad was of the Exact same thinking. Every boat I grew up in had a Seldom used Kicker. 16' StarCraft Skiff, with a 25 Johnson and a 6hp beside it. 18 StarCraft SS with a 115hp Johnson and the 6hp, 16' StarCraft SS 90 Yamaha and the 6hp came along (with a tank of mixed gas then)

The 6hp might have been used 4 times over the years (other than trolling). I have run my own boats since 1989, I am on my 6th one. Never having had a Kicker, and have been towed off the lake once due to mechanical issue (mostly my fault).

Outboards don't break down like they use to, Limp Mode for Over Heat, Low Oil and such, you can still get somewhere safe.

A Force outboard however, doesn't have many Limp Mode features. Nor will it troll slowly (depending on size)