Chinese outboards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Does anybody here have any experience with the Chinese made Seawalker outboard?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Nothing good comes out of China as far as recreational motors

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Most are cheap with no parts availability or servicing dealers.

If you are real lucky, its a poor copy of some other brand. Again, with no parts or service available.

If they claim parts are available, then try ordering a carb kit, and a fuel pump kit, and see how long it takes to get them. That will tell you all you need to know.

Buy a Mercury - Yamaha - Evinrude - Suzuki - or - Tohatsu.

If you can't afford a new one, then go used.

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Thank you for your answers. I much suspected the same thing, but my daughter just was on Bali (Indonesia) for vacation and she mentioned these outboards as commonly used. This makes me curious.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Yes they are affordable.----If used in salt water you just throw it away after 5 years anyway and buy a new one.----Why throw out an expensive one.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
As long as you buy them knowing you probably are not going to be able to get parts for them in the future unless you are buying a name brand like Mercury that has some of their motors built overseas, then you are good to go. I know a lot of kids that have had a blast on Chinese ATV's and by time they break, the kids are to big for them.

But they are very difficult to get parts for.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
40, 50 and 60 hp Mercury's are made in China.

correct, so does GM's Buick division. however unlike Seawalker that has no parts or service support, Mercury Marine has parts and service support.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Except Europe, now a days most if not all things powered with an engine are made in PRCH. Reputed engine manufacturers lower their overseas manufacturing costs which in most cases are not translated to customers. Should honor what they sell in terms of spare parts availability. If plan buying a chineese engine and save some bucks buy from a reputed US dealer stocking them at your own risk.

Happy Boating

mike_i

Master Chief Petty Officer
when I was researching repowering my boat a few months ago I found a company selling cheap yamaha motors in Indonesia. I contacted yamaha and was told among other things other than lack of parts and service that those types of foreign made motors would not be EPA approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.