Tohatsu engines? I have never heard of them...

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking at a boat to possibly buy and it has been repowered with a 2018 200 hp Tohatsu outboard. I have to admit I have never heard of this brand so I looked them up and it seems they have been making small outboards for decades and recently got into the bigger HP ones.
Does anyone have feedback on these outboards? How hard is it to get parts for these? Are they good dependable engines?
Thanks

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
No experience with the large ones, but with 4 under 30 hp. They have been making mid sized and portables for many years

Been making them for mercury for for a long time. Never an issue with parts, but never needed more than a carb kit and impellers.

These are are well made.
They are not cheap Chinese knock offs.

I suspect the the large motors are just as good, and have probably been sold to the rest of the world for a while.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Tohatsu engines has been around a long time, they are the same engine as the Nissan boat engines and they have made a lot of engines for Mercury as well as private branded motors for years now.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I believe today all motors under 40hp are tohatsu with either white, silver, grey, or black cowlings

no experience with larger versions.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Tohatsu.png

Tohatsu has been manufacturing different engines since 1922. 2.5 to 140 HP are made in their own Japan facility. Above 140 HP are made by Honda, a sales joint venture between both reputed Companies. If not the first it's the second largest world outboard manufacturer. Currently exporting to 120 countries all over the world.

Happy Boating

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
We sold a couple hundred of them under the Nissan name. Only series that gave problems was the 2 cyl 70hp as gearcases failed. I figured out the problem and was actually given a opportunity to return to Japan and work for them!!! :DBut being 20yrs old ,just married and didn't think about the future I turned them down :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::frusty:

highfigh

Seaman Apprentice
I'm looking at a boat to possibly buy and it has been repowered with a 2018 200 hp Tohatsu outboard. I have to admit I have never heard of this brand so I looked them up and it seems they have been making small outboards for decades and recently got into the bigger HP ones.
Does anyone have feedback on these outboards? How hard is it to get parts for these? Are they good dependable engines?
Thanks

I went on three rafting trips in the Grand Canyon and when I made a comment about Tohatsu (turned my nose up, really), the main guide explained the Nissan connection and said their adventure company used them "because they just keep going". The Colorado River in the Grand Canyon is a bad place to be when a motor fails and the rapids are ahead.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
The 150 hp and larger are Honda's with Tohatsu decals. In terms of number of units manufactured per year,Tohatsu produces more outboards than anyone else. That is due to the engines being made for Mercury and Evinrude.

capecodtodd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the info guys. It sounds like the Tohatsu is a good solid motor. I checked the availability of parts in my area and 3 local marinas sell them so that is good to know. Now if the guy with the boat would only call me back.