looking at a chrysler 75 hp to restore possibly 2 thoughts?

catfishcarl99

Senior Chief Petty Officer
i found a couple 75 hp Chrysler motors for sale. listed at $100 each or make offer. calling tomorrow about them. not sure if they are complete (carbs ) ect… I have a 1989 force 50 hp on a 17' spectrum fish and ski. the motor runs really well but 25mph with me and 5mph with my girlfriend and 2 kids in it. I can pull a kid on a tube with me and another kid in it but looking for a lil more speed and hp. thinking about restoring one of these if they are complete or buying both if the two can make a full engine. im thinking worst case I can part out and the carbs alone would be worth the money on ebay let alone gears ect. guess my question is I assume by looking up these are 3 cylinder? how many carbs? 2-3? thought some of you might have the same style and can give me a few ideas. prob needs controls and wondering if these merc and Chrysler might be able to use the same one I have in boat now. the boat is rated for up to 85 hp. im not in a hurry but if I can get one of them and carbs are there I can take my time over a year and get the gaskets replaced carbs cleaned and replace any other parts that may be missing or broken. throw some info at me if you can.

Attachments

• photo300204.jpg
    photo300204.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 0
  • photo300205.jpg
    photo300205.jpg
    154.8 KB · Views: 0

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
G'day,
l'd ask the questions in the chrysler/force page but l did much the same here in Australia back in feb with a 1979 70 hp chrysler,
have a 15 ft runabout that had a 70 johno on it that did a piston,

70's are 3 cylinder with 2 carbs,
just have to remember these motors are more than 40 yrs old and pulling tubes is hard work,

they are simple to work on and people sometimes will throw parts at ya...for a reason lol
ignition system problems are common,
over 15 yrs we had 10 or so chryslers from 10 to 120 hp,

you probably won't get rich mucking around with them but they are cheap and " fun " to work on,

l wouldn't trust one offshore though...

freshwater lakes rivers where there's other boats around would be good

catfishcarl99

ya im in Illinois so this is a lake boat. thinking that they are cheap enough that I might be able to get one good runner after working on it and possibly making all the money back selling carbs and parts . or if one is complete just being able to get a lil more power. we probably only go out 20-30 times a year for a day or weekend. and I wouldn't even try swapping mine out until I had it running well. if and when. I will likely be in the other section if I pull the trigger and get one if they are still available. gonna go look this weekend if he has them still.

catfishcarl99

only thing is a 3 hr drive vs a 35 min drive and I will have 2 motors for the same price for spare parts. if it was closer I would be interested.

catfishcarl99

well I got them both. model 757hb 1976 both exact. one turned freely one didn't but I paid $150.00 for both complete engines. so I got them home and popped off heads. the one that turned had a compression reading of 40 on bottom other two cylinders were reading 125 and 152. that's what the guy had written on them with marker. the one that's froze has some rust on sleeves and piston the other one has nice shiny sleeves and looks ok. prob gonna tear it down this winter and try a set of rings. good thing is I have spare parts that if something is a miss on the one im gonna try and rebuild the other with luck will be good. they are complete with all carbs distributers starter props ect… I have lost more money in a parking lot by accident than I spent on both motors. I could prob regain the money back selling the props. so the journey begins. im gonna start by replacing the head and doing my own compression test and crank with a battery and see if I get any kind of spark. then off to the chrysler repair threads im sure.