Which Prop? - Crap Shoot - 1974 Mercury 650 on a 15' tri hull

Berryn

Cadet
Cheers All,

I have spent the last 9 months restoring a 1970 ArrowGlass "Tarpon" Tri Hull. New deck, floatation, transom, paint...etc. Also just rebuilt a 1974 Mercury 650 (65HP) 3 cyl to power the old girl. 120lbs on each cylinder. A couple of questions here....

First, I am running a ProPulse composite prop that my friend Robert gave me. It is adjusted all the way out (17p) and I am able to get 29mph at WOT with myself and one other person - loaded with gas, battery, dry storage and cooler. The engine has no problem getting on plane (Light boat for a fiberglass) and will stay at 5000 RPM no matter where I set the prop. Being in Virginia, I am doing a lot of time on the James and Chickahominy rivers - both have their share of obstacles. This makes me very leary of having a plastic prop as a full-time prop, so I am looking for an aluminum prop. My question is.... available props for this motor range up to 17 pitch, and I would like a little more speed, but I'm not sure if that would be too much and bog down the ol' Merc.

Second, The poppet valve continues to weep a small bit through the weep hole even though all parts of the poppet valve and thermostat are brand new. I have taken it down twice to try to find anything wrong, but to no avail. I'm going broke on gaskets.

I am going to try to post a picture of the boat so you guys/gals can get a better idea of the size (bear with me, I'm a Harley buff). Any suggestions are GREATLY appreciated.. Thanks for your time and thoughts.

image_297827.jpg

Arrow-2b.jpg

Last edited: