old coil replacement

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes it is cool.I had to go by a puller but I could use one anyways for bearings etc so I got a 3 jaw with it also being reversible so inner or outer and it wasn't very pricey.I just happen to have 2 new omc coils laying around so my project is a go for the 7.5 elgin.The original coils were wrapped in elect tape!Somebody was cheap,lol..

82rude

Rear Admiral
Changed one coil today scott.Very easy .A puller makes it childs play.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Changed the entire system now.Coil new omc,condencer new omc,points nos elgin.Everything is all cleaned up and the motor runs great .
29056962778_f849812f33_c.jpg

82rude

Rear Admiral
Shavings are from drilling out the coil holder to accept the omc condenser. which was slightly bigger than the original elgin condenser.All vacuumed and flushed out now.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Yes it is cool.I had to go by a puller but I could use one anyways for bearings etc so I got a 3 jaw with it also being reversible so inner or outer and it wasn't very pricey.I just happen to have 2 new omc coils laying around so my project is a go for the 7.5 elgin.The original coils were wrapped in elect tape!Somebody was cheap,lol..

Never use a three jaw puller on a flywheel. Good way to break the flywheel. Use a harmonic balancer puller with some grade 8 bolts.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Yes Chinewalker if you look closely that is the orginal 1955 elgin laminate mounts with a new omc coil.Not even sure what the coil was for anymore .9.9 to 40hp but year is forgotten.Simple swap and works great but coil has to have a 7/16 x 7/16 hole or no go. according to main author of oddjob motors.Unfortunately he has passed so we have lost another great mind.