Pennzoil 100% Synthetic 2 stroke outboard oil

robert graham

Admiral
Is Pennzoil still manufacturing this 100% synthetic outboard oil, and if so, where can I buy a few gallons?.... Seems everywhere I've checked lately they've been out...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
all gone.

I've used amsoil HPI for years.

I know, its not tcw3 rated by nmma
[h=1][/h]

robert graham

Admiral
Pennzoil does make synthetic blend, which is $18/Gal at Wallyworld.

That's what I bought today....guess my old C90 won't choke on it.....may not even know the difference!....I use Ringfree in every tank so maybe no carbon....I hope!

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Based on recommendations on this forum I tried Pennzoil. I'm sure it didn't hurt the engine (see all the woohoo comments about "OIL"). My only criteria is that it doesn't smoke and smells nice. I only pre-mix, not inject.

The Pennzoil failed my test. I used it up in my weedwacker and chain saw, where i didn't care.

OMC XD-50 met all my requirements and I switched to it 100%.

In my 50+ years of running outboards, the only oils that I wasn't happy with (for one reason or another) were aftermarket varieties. Now I won't use anything but OMC, Quicksilver or Yamaha.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I like the smoke, it confirms the engine is still running, it smells great, and it keeps the Mosquitoes away. The original OMC oils smelled best, with Mercury oils in the 80s, and 90s a close 2nd

82rude

Rear Admiral
G-oil smelled like you were operating a frie wagon.Not good if your on a diet.In my etec I use the xd-100 and correct ,nowhere on the jug is tcw3 mentioned.Though it does tell you how to get a loan to buy it,lol.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I like the smoke, it confirms the engine is still running, it smells great, and it keeps the Mosquitoes away.
Nothing like a light aft breeze, the slow rocking motion from a tight chop and a lung full of outboard smoke to get the chummers hanging over the side...lol

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Being that the XD100 was intended for the DI engines, perhaps it might not be the best choice of oil to be mixed with gas. It may have been formulated not to mix with gas easily as it intended to be injected into a dry crankcase.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The amsoil didn't smoke much, BUT... the stuff burned my eyes and smelled bad.
Not a problem while cruising, but we back troll and jig position fish most of the time.
That, and the cost, are why I stopped using it.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Being that the XD100 was intended for the DI engines, perhaps it might not be the best choice of oil to be mixed with gas. It may have been formulated not to mix with gas easily as it intended to be injected into a dry crankcase.
It say right on the label for use in direct inject and oil injection systems.

Way over kill unless you can take advantage of using at 100:1

Not TCW (pay to play) because it’s not marketed for general use

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I was a teeanger Grandpa gave me his old Merc 10. My buddies and I used to rent an old tinny at a marina for $5 a day. With that expense, plus the gas, there was nothing left for fancy outboard oil.

I raided Dad's cabinet in the garage and got old half filled cans of oil from when he changed the oil in the car. There was some 30 weight, some 10 weight and lots of 10w30. Used that stuff all through high school. Yeah it smoked, but the motor ran. The only problem i ever had was fouled plugs, and that was after I had some money and bough some Texaco Outboard Oil. Boy that stuff was crap.

I still have the old Merc and she still runs.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It say right on the label for use in direct inject and oil injection systems.

Way over kill unless you can take advantage of using at 100:1

Not TCW (pay to play) because it’s not marketed for general use

It's only $8 more a gallon than XD50 in my local, and if the label now says it can be used in oil mixing systems, I would upgrade to XD100. Even at 50:1 the overall cost isn't that much greater for a year of boating
Even though it is not TCW certified, it is marketed by BRP, an engine manufacturer so I'm sure it exceeds the TCW-3 spec by a considerable margin.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
and lots of 10w30. Used that stuff all through high school. Yeah it smoked, but the motor ran. The only problem i ever had was fouled plugs, and that was after I had some money and bough some Texaco Outboard Oil. Boy that stuff was crap.

I still have the old Merc and she still runs.

Multigrade oils were and still are the worst, totally wrong kind of additives. I'm surprised the engine is still running. It would be neat to tear that engine down and examine the build up on the piston, the ports, and combustion chamber.