Useage of TCW 2 stroke oil

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
I have about 3 quarts of 2 stroke TCW oil left over from when I had a 2 stroke motor. What can I use this left over oil for?

82rude

Rear Admiral
For bar oil. Chains saws run too hot for that oil.

Agreed.My friend cuts mega wood and all he uses for bar oil is mixed used oil .Me I bought a gallon of bar oil but that will last me a very long time.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I use 2 stroke oil in my chainsaw too. Also a gas weed whacker. If you don't have either put in a chemical sprayer and give the underside of you vehicle a spray with it. You can use it to soak rusty tools in it. Spray the underside of your lawnmower with it. Wipe it on the sidewalls of your tires to shine them up. Lube the trailer hitch. Lube the wheel of the cloths line, they always sqeek. Shampoo the Dog with it, scratch that one.

This is kind of like that Family Feud game. Name the top 5 things people use 2 stroke oil for.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I remember when 2-stroke oil was simply 30 weight oil

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Some good ideas. Bar oil is a good one because I am almost out of bar oil anyway.Oiling up pretty much anything makes sense, except the dog! Hmmm.... wonder if my cat wants to be oiled? :eek:

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
The "W" in TCW means "water cooled". Not good for air cooled two strokes. The Ash content is different.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
The "W" in TCW means "water cooled". Not good for air cooled two strokes. The Ash content is different.

I've wondered why a lot of off the shelf 2 stroke oils have pics of snowmobiles, boats, and chainsaws on them. I'd think it was universal, but it still bugs me.

bigdee

Commander
Add a few ounces into your generators,off season mowers,snowblowers etc. It will stabilize the gas somewhat plus offer upper cylinder lubrication. I have used TWC in all my 2 stroke outdoor equipment without issue. I have also used straight 30 weight non-detergent oil too. The ash content of TWC is still MUCH lower than straight 30 so I don't think there is a need for concern. I buy wally world TWC and use it it in everything.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, when I was a kid at a marine camp, the counselors used 2 cycle oil as sun tan lotion.

Of course, sun tan lotion and sun block hadn't yet been invented, and they didn't have any baby oil.

I don't recommend you use it like that, BTW

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Gee, when I was a kid at a marine camp, the counselors used 2 cycle oil as sun tan lotion.

Of course, sun tan lotion and sun block hadn't yet been invented, and they didn't have any baby oil.

I don't recommend you use it like that, BTW

Are you like 120 years old? :rolleyes:

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Sunscreen was invented in the late 70s, for those who are too young to remember. Before that there was some lotions to replace moisture lost, and of course, baby oil...

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've been thinking about this thread. Didn't TCW 2 disappear in the late seventies, early eighties only to be replaced by TCW 3?

If so, that stuff must be ancient.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
TCW-2 appeared in the mid 1980s, I had just bought several cases of Merc TCW oil in 86(still have a few bottles laying around). The TCw-3 came out in the mid to late 90s. There are oils superior to TCW-3, which are needed by the DI engines(FICHT, Opti-Max, and E-tec), but BRP and Merc, being the Engines manufacturers aren't bothered to push for a TCW-4 cert.

As for the OPs question as to what to do with it, we used a lot of it to help start campfires, brought that boating smell to the firepit, also helped keep the Mosquitoes at bay.

Lightwin 3

Petty Officer 1st Class
TCW-2 appeared in the mid 1980s, I had just bought several cases of Merc TCW oil in 86(still have a few bottles laying around). The TCw-3 came out in the mid to late 90s. There are oils superior to TCW-3, which are needed by the DI engines(FICHT, Opti-Max, and E-tec), but BRP and Merc, being the Engines manufacturers aren't bothered to push for a TCW-4 cert.

As for the OPs question as to what to do with it, we used a lot of it to help start campfires, brought that boating smell to the firepit, also helped keep the Mosquitoes at bay.

I was wrong about the dates. Thanks for the clarification.

I'm not sure I'd want to roast weenies or marshmellows over a fire started with TCW! I like that boating smell as well as the next guy but I don't want to taste it.:eek::D

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Probable less harmful than the glues and preservatives that are in the scrap wood a lot of fire pits utilize