Outboard Motor Height... Motor almost swamps...

Hello all, Ive been a long time reader and now i need a little help on a new to me Tracker Nitro 185. Took it out for the first time today. Previous owner had is sitting for a year. After starting and dying for about 30 min i finally got it to idle around. So to clear it out i was going to run it WOT. Yeah not happening. When i do, water comes in the back... bad.. Ive had outboards before and never seen anything like it. Motor is really digging down , water almost over the cowling. I cant trim it down all the way without the tell tale being submerged and water up to where the cowling snaps together. Naturally I beleive it needs to go "up"... Now how much... is there a reference point or suggestions. I know it changes when a jack plater is used. Because its naturally lower a foot back because the angle.

82rude

Rear Admiral
Post a couple of more times even if its gibberish then you can post pics which would be helpful Back of boat and motor in relation to bottom of boat.As a starting point anti ventilation plate should be plus or minus 1/2 inch within the bottom of boat.

Post a couple of more times even if its gibberish then you can post pics which would be helpful Back of boat and motor in relation to bottom of boat.As a starting point anti ventilation plate should be plus or minus 1/2 inch within the bottom of boat.

Let me know if the videos don't work . Scratching my head here

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Please post a photo, side view, taken from the height of the bottom of the hull, that clearly shows the motor (vertical) and its relative position to the hull.
somethings like this photo:

PropHeight.jpg

This hull has a pad ?

Was there a prepurchase sea trial? If yes, did the boat perform this way?

Last edited:
Ill take a better picture tomorrow. Dont know what you mean by does the hull have a pad?

Guess I should not read to fast. No this was my first time out on it

Last edited:
I'll have to figure something out for the picture.. I can't trim my motor all the way down like that without it hitting the ground. I'll get you one though.

jbuote

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I can't trim my motor all the way down like that without it hitting the ground. I'll get you one though.

Not a pro here by any means, but...
Can you lower the front of the trailer to get the clearance needed?

Is it possible you have a long shaft on a boat that needs a short shaft?

Also, What year is your Nitro?
Everything I've looked up for specs (so far) shows the Nitro 185 has a max HP of 150..
Your vid shows a Merc 175 on it..

Too heavy in the back?

Just some thoughts from a "Novice" point of view...
The folks with real knowledge will help for sure..

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Easy fix....put deflector plate on bottom of jack plate...the water is being scooped up the plate sides that's what your seeing....Allisons are bad about this.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here is what I get from first post. have a motor issue with it not wanting to run so I thought I would go WOT.

if so, then it is a motor issue and the motor cant get out of the hole. arse end is down, bow is up and motor is struggling, hence the stern is still in the hole.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I think there is something wrong with the boat.----Is it waterlogged ?

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
This is interesting. I think Scott has a point. I guess the question is this...is the boat getting fully up on plane? Bow too high and stern too far in hole. Why? Too much weight in stern? Outboard too heavy? Long shaft when it should be short shaft?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Looked at the video and I think you best hurry to a boat shop and ask for help with this set-up.-----I would not set a foot into that rig !

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
BTW, a 175 is over-powered for a tracker nitro 185

82rude

Rear Admiral
Even so scott I have trouble believing that's a real issue as far as whats happening other than legal maybe?Ive had a few beauties in my day and ive never seen that before maybe Faztbullet is onto something .Those types of boats are not my forte for sure.Water logged?Needs smart tabs maybe?I think if it was my boat id get a professional opion.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
  • Put a deflector/skid plate on bottom of jack plate..trim the motor in as your planning off and that looks to be a 90's 175hp (horizontal reeds) and is either a 2.4 or 2.5 which is lighter than a 2.0 150hp.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
By chance is the engine an Extra long shaft(25")? A pic from the side, level, taken at keel height may help a great deal

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Middle leg is dragging to much water against transom which means: engine sits way low on jack plate, could be an XL long shaft. Raise engine fully on jack plate, distribute deck weight evenly. Trim engine one position downward. Throttle engine gradually till combo planes out, once on place trim to neutral position.

Check if at speed while making sharp turns prop aerates, if, so drop engine one hole at a time and test again till prop aeration is cancelled. Test on flat no wind water conditions. Report your water tests..

Happy Boating