Evinrude G2

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Anyone on the board with any experience with them?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Is not a DIY repair engine as takes way to many special tools...

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I did post this in the "Non Repair Outboard Discussion" group

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Saw one, a 250 hp model.-----It was sitting / laying in a dealer yard.---Bottom half of gearcase missing along with the propshaft and gears.----Dealer said midsection was bent from the collision with a rock / shoal and not available as a replacement part.----New motors was installed on the boat.----Sort of like writing off a new vehicle after a collision with a deer.----They don't make them like they used to.------But I think when they run everybody loves them just like any other new product.----I would have to win the lottery to buy and operate one I think.----Just like a luxury car is not for a small budget.----I think you need to find a site for ETEC owners group to get comments / info from folks who own / operate one of these---- " steer / shift / trim --- fly by wire " machines

82rude

Rear Admiral
ETEC owners group has lots of stuff on them .Like all motor or brand specific forum's you will see a fair bit of complaints because lets be honest people like to vent .Theres also a section on there that people write to brag about them also .Though mine is just a 60 etec I'm a bragger so far.Flawless.For at least another month I believe they come with a 10 year warranty.Go to merc or Yamaha or any other brand specific site and you will see bitching galore also.The days of uncomplicated motors are a thing of the past due to emission concerns etc.At least in north America and Europe.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
One long time shop owner told me ----" The industry knows they are building high tech and complicated motors .--They know that small seasonal shops may not have any techs that want to learn this new stuff.----The factories at this time do not know how to correct this issue "--------Some dealer have tooled up / trained staff for it and you have to expect up to $130 / hr for service.-----Not a problem for high roller owners.-----But who is going to own / maintain these motors if and when they come to the used market ?

thatone123

Banned
The corporate idea is to make them unserviceable and after the warranty runs out, you simply buy another. We are not there quite yet, or are we?, but that is the plan according to the word on the street.

82rude

Rear Admiral
At the very least I can always fall back on my 1939 22.5 hp evinrude speeditwin,lol.Still ticking after all those years .