E-tec

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I just noticed the E-tec was first introduced in 2004, 14 yrs ago. Seems like only 5 or 6 years.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
So, somehow you have lost 8 years of your life.
Thats not to bad, sometimes I feel like my whole life has passed me by.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
8 years, to me the entire 34 1/2 I was employed was lost time. When I retired, my Cousin said I was now a man of Leisure. I told her I had always been a man of Leisure, but 34 1/2 years of Employment had interrupted it.

82rude

Rear Admiral
YUP I hear you,theres the idle rich and then theres me ,the idle not so rich,lol.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
In that 14 years they sure managed to make the Etec cowl look hideous... guess we all start to nudge over towards the ugly side as we age. :lol:

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
All the new motors look hideous. I think the E-tec and G2 cowls look the least hideous

thatone123

Banned
On working wages...see movie "The Misfits", I believe the last movie of Marilyn Monroe and Clark Gable. The old cowboys there had an aversion to working wages and I was surprised to see it expressed in the late 50's, when the movie was made. It would fit in more with todays millennials. E-tec's were developed to counteract the heavy and weak 4 strokes. Suzuki has tried everything to try to equal the performance of the E-tec, Big Displacement, low gearing, offset gearing, super charging all to no avail as you can't beat what outboards were designed to be and that is 2 stroke. It is too bad here unlike most of the rest of the world, that 2 new 2 strokes are outlawed. Some folks are afraid of the E-tec motors as they have had their share of electronic and oiling issues.

thatone123

Banned
Because of this fear I have had a hard time moving a set of 250 E-tec's although they are priced very low. A tech told me last year that Mercury was going to get rid of the Optimax, but I see they are still selling them this spring. The reason he said was the overwhelming demand for the 4 stroke.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Where are these new 2 strks outlawed because California allows E-tecs/Optimaxs to operate on their lakes. Mercury is phasing out the optimax because they have a bunch of money in the Verado line. There has been really no R&D on the optimax line of motors. You are having trouble selling your 250 hp motors because they are 250 hp motors not because they are E-tecs.

thatone123

Banned
Once again! Will you read our rules? Please!

If you have a problem with moderation, the rules explain what to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Clever things Etechs. Not many over here. Not many dealers or support for them. Love the engineering behind them.

82rude

Rear Admiral
I bought my etec hoping it will last me till I'm planted in the ground.We will see, I figure another 20 25 years and I will be gone at the max to be realistic and honest.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How reliable are Etecs in general terms provided that correct fuels, 2 stroke oils are used?. Personally would not buy them, our local Etec dealer is a vulgar burglar, charges whateever he wants to and oh boy if some electronic part fails out of warranty. Add that Etecs are quite expensive.

Buying an OB with really bad dealer service and know how is the worse investment ever. Would preffer a zillion times to buy a Tohatsu TLDI-OB.

Happy Boating

82rude

Rear Admiral
When you start to replace any parts on all new outboards ,sit down before getting the quote.Computer are not cheap and are now found on most likely every outboard .

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
How reliable are Etecs in general terms provided that correct fuels, 2 stroke oils are used?. Personally would not buy them, our local Etec dealer is a vulgar burglar, charges whateever he wants to and oh boy if some electronic part fails out of warranty. Add that Etecs are quite expensive.

Buying an OB with really bad dealer service and know how is the worse investment ever. Would preffer a zillion times to buy a Tohatsu TLDI-OB.

Happy Boating

My local E-Tec dealer has been in bizness since 1945 (as an Evinrude master dealer). It is a fantastic dealership.
The "local" Tohatsu dealer is hundreds of miles away and he is a real %^&%$#.

ETecs are highly regarded here.

Can't blame a product because of the local dealer.

(PS - please check your grammar and spelling - sometimes its hard to understand your posts)