2 stroke vs a 4 stroke

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
2017 150 Yamaha, 13 grand right on iboats.

whats the delivered price for you in Ontario if you were to buy it from boats? What do the local dealers want for it? Since we are both north of a soon to be second border Wall, Can. $ please

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The plan is to make outboards not financially feasible to repair when they are used up. Stockholders do not like to have their investments in stuff shortcut by us fixing..buying new creates profits. Just look at the price on a simple valve guide for a 2.5hp yamaha..its all about the money.

Same goes for pistons for the old inline Mercury engines. Mercury, the EPA, and the California Air Resourses Board are trying to discourage the rebuilding of the oiler engines, thus making pushing people to newer engines

82rude

Rear Admiral
Wonder what the rules are for importing personal motors.Lets say you have a friend that's on a freighter and you could finagle cheap or even free shipping and snag a brand new 90 Yamaha 2 stroke from south America or asia?

vasy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is more than strokes to the engine.
If your body of water banned 2-strokes (not e-tech), then you are limited to what’s allowed.
Also 2-sroke is more known as 2-smoke. It is not very environmentally friendly, so if you care for limiting pollution an old 2-stroke engine makes to the water by dumping some unburned oil, you may want to think about the 4-stroke.
As mentioned before, most 4-stores are also quitter.
To me, less pollution in the water and noise would sway going the 4-stroke way.
This is in fact what I did after owning one for about a year.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Love the sweet aroma of burnt 2 stroke oil. The smoke helps keep the Mosquitoes away.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Most of the pollution from 2 cycle carb engines is not the oil that is burnt or unburnt, but the unburnt and partially burnt gasoline hydrocarbons. The unburnt hydrocarbons are from the crankcase, discharged during the exhaust scavenging and are the main pollutants.

That is why direct injected 2 cycle motors are very low hydrocarbon pollution makers. In the DI 2 cycle motors, only air and oil are used to scavenge the exhaust. Gasoline is injected into the combustion chamber, after the ports are closed, and it is thoroughly burnt..

So, Jimmbo can still have his sweet smoke, even with very low polution......

82rude

Rear Admiral
So, Jimmbo can still have his sweet smoke, even with very low polution......
not if he has my etec ,lol.Zero smoke and no smell period.Only time ive ever seen anything even remotely related to smoke is steam first thing on a cold morning.I just went to xd100 setting a year ago and oil usage is very very low.Maybe they could add a spray can to the motor that every once in a while can toot out a 2 stroke smoke smell just like home air fresheners,lol.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It's been 10 days since PISTONESAL started this thread. If he doesn't answer any of the questions soon, we'll be closing the thread.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I think the answers were given in the first 10 replies

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
All the above interesting.
4 stroke efforts should be commended recently with weight saving. The truth is that they are coming ever closer to the weight of 2 strokes. But as of yet, they still can’t compare for pound for pound power.
My earlier point relates to older boats from the 70’s 80’s and even 90’s which are rated for a 2 stroke weight motor of a certain HP. When 4 strokes weren’t even a thing. In my opinion one should never put an equivelant HP 4 stroke of equal HP on the transom as a direct replacement. That would be chancing it !

There have been 4 stroke outboards for 90 years, since the 1920's, and the Homelite Bearcat in 1962, and of course Honda entered the field in 1964.

ahicks

Captain
So here's a thought. Say 1 of the carbs on your 2 stroke goes down/plugs up starving the cylinder(s) it feeding for fuel and oil. If it's able to stay running (many will) and you don't have the common sense to shut it down (let's say your teenage daughter is driving) how far will that engine go without seriously damaging the cylinders that carb is serving? Same scenario with a 4 stroke?

While used 4 strokes are still commonly available with carbs (so I do not have to rely on a dealer/marina for repairs), I'm a convert. No more 2 strokes here. While I'm willing to admit the 4 stroke is heavier, it's not by much in many cases, and that weight penalty easily justified for my purposes.

As far as a 4 stroke being a dog, I guess I haven't seen that side of them. The ones I've been associated with all seem to run pretty good.

I do get that the 4 strokes are expensive. That would not be the case if there were no demand for them.

My vote = 4 stroke

If your hull can't handle the extra weight with ease, maybe you should be shopping for one of those as well.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Well if you want to putt around a lake with a pontoon or deck boat, a 4 stroke is fine, but if you need holeshot for water sports, the 2 stroke is far superior. A 70hp 2 stroke is gonna do a better job of pulling a couple of skiers up than a 100 hp 4 stroke.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
There have been 4 stroke outboards for 90 years, since the 1920's, and the Homelite Bearcat in 1962, and of course Honda entered the field in 1964.

Very true but we’re never a real option for power boats or small planing crafts and their needs, until fairly recently.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
just went to xd100 setting a year ago and oil usage is very very low.Maybe they could add a spray can to the motor that every once in a while can toot out a 2 stroke smoke smell just like home air fresheners,lol.

The XD100 is a very good oil. out here it only costs about 8 dollars more a gallon than the XD50.. I was looking at the label last Saturday. There used to be a statement saying the XD100 wasn't recommended as a premix oil. It is wasn't on the jugs I looked at, so I will tell my friends that for an extra 8 bucks, they can buy BRPs best 2 stroke oil.

I do like the Air Freshener Idea

82rude

Rear Admiral
I used xd100 in my 1982 90hp evinrude ,worked great .G-Oil was good also ,its bio based with no dino oil,uses cow tallow and other synths.Warning be prepared for other boaters pulling up to you and ordering French fries!Smells like a chip truck.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
We have strayed far from the original question and not one answer has supplied the meaning of life. The OP is MIA. Pistoneseal, if you return to answer any questions, PM any Mod to have this thread reopened.

In the mean time - Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.