Verify proper 50:1 oil mix

daveydoodle

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a new old 1990 Tinney with 70 hp Johnson 2 stroke. I converted the VRO to manual mix. The PO doesn't remember if he put oil in the built in 16 gallon tank. I can see the color indicates some oil but id like to verify the proper mix this spring?? Web shows everying from test strips[ old post ) to mail order test kits. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Davey

jbcurt00

Staff member
PO was runnung it as a VRO, but might have put oil in the tank too?

You converted it to manual mix, so if PO was using it as a VRO, shouldnt it have none mixed in the tank?

How old is the gas? Or how old the PO told you it was? Believe him if he cant remember addung pre-mix to the gas while running VRO?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I can tell you from experience that running 50:1 and VRO on an older early 90's Johnyrude 70 hp will fog mosquitos. it will run..... it will also smoke like crazy

my suggestion since the motor was running VRO before hand and you just converted the motor to remove the VRO. there is no oil in the fuel. use whatever fuel you have in the tank as a solvent or something else, and completely drain your tank and start over.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
If the gas smells fresh, mix in the proper amount of oil to make it 50::1. At most it will be 25::1, and older motors ran on that stuff with no issue. Then fill the rest of the tank with 50::1, and the mix will tend to be closer to 50::1,

lmuss53

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just what Chris said. Make sure you have oil in the gas in the tank and run it. It won't hurt it to run it on 25 to 1 for a tank. The alternative would be to get rid of all the existing gas and start from scratch with fresh mixed 50 to 1. If you have some use for the fuel that works too. If the fuel is mixed you can still use it in a vehicle, I take all my boat fuel out of the tanks in the Fall and put it in my pickup.

If you just pulled the VRO off, pull a line off the fuel pump and pump fresh mixed fuel up to there so you don't run on straight gas, there is no oil in the gas in the fuel lines now.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
I have a new old 1990 Tinney with 70 hp Johnson 2 stroke. I converted the VRO to manual mix. The PO doesn't remember if he put oil in the built in 16 gallon tank. I can see the color indicates some oil but id like to verify the proper mix this spring?? Web shows everying from test strips[ old post ) to mail order test kits. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks, Davey

Why would the previous owner have put oil in the tank if he was running it with the vro, and you just disconnected the vro?

I say drain the tank and start fresh.

You don't know the age of the gas.
You don't know if stabilizer was used.
You don't know if it is ethanol gas or pure gas.
You don't know if oil was added or at what ratio.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The only way to truly verify a 50:1 mix, would be to dump all the old fuel, and mix up a fresh batch and flush the lines prior to running