What HP kicker for a 22 foot bowrider?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Looks good, preffer a million times athick wooden support than a plastic one which cracks and breaks more easily. Will your OB purchase be based on the max side that bracket might hold. If can hold say a 2 stroke 15 HP, will you go for one ?

Happy Boating

salmon89

Recruit
The best for that size boat is a 9.9 4 stroke up to a 15 horse 2 stroke weight is about the same and i troll with an 8 4 stroke but my boat is 18 Stryker.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
See my sig pic. I went 4 stroke only because I tied into main tank. My other 16" aluminum boat has a 6 hp 2 stroke, same concept. Both get me home in medium weather / current. 40+ mph wind and current I would want twins otherwise I'm good.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Saw two older 20 HP 2-strokes on craisgslist after I got back from vacation in my price range. Not sure if my bracket would hold up with a 20 hp.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Simple answer.

Been there, done that on a half dozen boats over the past 50 years.

A 9.9 2-stroke Johnnyrude is just the ticket. A 15 won't do any better. If weather conditions get nasty you might need a 25, but that's not a "kicker", and you'll end up at anchor calling SeaTow anyway.

Be sure to prop it with a low pitch "sailboat prop" and you'll have the optimum setup.