What HP kicker for a 22 foot bowrider?

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
I just bought a 22 foot bowrider, 1987 Aquasport Sandpiper 222. Rated at 2200 lbs on the web, but "looks" heavier.

It has a kicker plate, but no kicker. I am wondering what size outboard would be best for a kicker.

My main interest would be using it to "limp home" if I have engine trouble (or at least find safe anchorage until SeaTow arrives; I fish in the Long Island Sound, often in an area known as "The Race" which is known for strong, changeable currents).

I am also interested in using it to troll at 1.5-2.0 knots, which my current motor, a 1998 Johnson 150 V6 looper, probably won't like to do.

Anybody have info and suggestions?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
What about strong winds along strong changing water currents ? What's the max weight that kicker plate is rated for ? 4 strokes portable OB's are more heavier than their same 2 strokes brothers. Personally wouldn't go under a L15 HP, can go for a prop maximization for OB to rev middle or full wot rpm factory stated as currently loaded.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
A 2hp will push your about 4mph on a calm day.

A 15 hp may not move the boat at all going into the wind and current if you are in a 40mph wind hitting a high velocity current

My suggestion would be a 10hp 2-stroke

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
True! I rarely go out on 40 mph days! Gotta look at the kicker plate and see what it will hold. Just bought the boat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Something doesn't add. A 15 HP won't move the combo into strong winds, a 10 HP won't either. Usually speaking 10 HP-OB's are restricted versions of their 15 HP same CC brothers, better is going straight for the larger one if available. Maximize a prop and will push any combo nuch better. If too much up wind is encountered, drop a large line with proper anchor, sip some cold ones and wait for help to get there LOL!!

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
exactly...... people want a magic number for a kicker.....it doesn't exist. only conditions exist, and that specific combination of conditions at any point in time requires a specific size kicker.

on windy days, the kicker is nothing but weight on the transom - your running with the big motor

on calm days, any size kicker will work. I mention a 2hp because it will push a 37' sail boat on a calm day at 4mph

about 60% of the time out, you only need 4-6hp, however they vibrate a bit, so going to 2 cylinders puts you into the 10hp range. if you need more than 10hp, run on the big motor as the kicker isnt worth the hassle or in some cases, the weight.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sott, plainly in agreement with your post. Will add that a standard portable ckicker whichever HP is it powering any heavy boat with huge hull drag will need to go for less pitch prop maximization or 4 blade prop for top prop efficiency in order for OB to rev around midle to max wot rpm range as loaded or will run severely on the lug side at wot which is bad.

Usually the 4-5 HP models are one cylinder ones, 6 and up are 2 cylinders models, vibrates less and are less noisy.

A 10-15 HP-OB say 2 strokes only weights 38 to 42 kilos, add 10 more for same 4 strokes ones. On a large and heavy boat that weight hanging on transom is nothing. With a 6-15 HP range ckicker will only achive slow or fast displacement speed with combo running parallel to water level.

Happy Boating

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
15 HP was marginal on my 22' W/A trolling the Chesapeake Bay.

It worked Ok on flat days. Not so good on days when it kicked up bit or during hard running tides. Forget trying to use it on rough days

Cracked the TM bracket on the way out the inlet one morning. Removed the motor and bracket and never put it back on. Been trolling with my 200 HP primary ever since.

Last edited:

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Good input, guys, thanks. I have a friend locally who has a 7 horse on a 21 foot Grady. I'll ask how that has worked for him. He cruises and fishes in many of the same locations and circumstances.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Don't forget to ask your friend about his experience on windy days while trying to reach land safely with a 7 kicker so to know what to expect.. Not an issue on flat calm days at extreme boring displacement speeds.

Happy Boating

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, I'm starting to think an engine to "limp home" with is not part of my future. Just something to troll with, and if I break down, steer me out of harm's way until Sea Tow arrives.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Yeah, I'm starting to think an engine to "limp home" with is not part of my future. Just something to troll with, and if I break down, steer me out of harm's way until Sea Tow arrives.
An aux. trolling motor is more PIA than its worth. Something else to work lines around. If you feel you need a back up to get home go with twins. Alternate use between the two when trolling

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
More about the set than anything else. Make sure whatever you get has long enough shaft to get the prop below the line of the hull and short enough that it doesn’t drag when not in use.
A good 6-8hp smoker be fine

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
OB's used as kickers must be long shaft ones as larger boats have L transoms too, drag will be minimum, with those combo will only achieve fast displacement speeds. Many boateres doesn't know there's at least 2 close models HP sharing same CC powerhead, the larger HP will perfom much better.

For instance if going for a 4 strokes Tohatsu, Merc 8 HP, preferably is going for the upgraded 9.8 HP, both shares same 210 CC powerhead and are exactt same in size and weight. Same will apply to other OB's brands in the portable range, a matter to check tech specs and go for the larger HP sharing same CC to its close younger brother.

Anyway whichever standard OB brand you choose as a kicker will need going for a prop maximization along a tach as factory delivered prop is a medium pitch. If at an emergency full power is needed while powering a heavy boat, OB will work at the extreme lug side of the wot range which is no bueno, too much stress on pistons and crankshaft including overheating. When at sea, don't put your life and that of others in danger, next time you need a kicker OB, invest wise, go for the larger HP model.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

airshot

Rear Admiral
I own a 22' cuddy cabin with a 3.0 I/O and have a 9.9 Jonnyrude on the back. it is a 2 stroke so I use a separate tank, a 3 gallon one that lasts for 6-8 hrs depending on conditions. has no problem pushing the boat at 12mph when needed (wot) but easily trolls at 1-2mph all day. I have used it to get in on a windy day just as a test...long ride but no issues.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
9.9 and 15 HP-OB's enters the 250CC territory compared to the 170 CC of a 2 strokes 9.8 - 8 OB's. If budget is not an issue go straight for a 15 HP-OB kicker, better is counting with more HP and never use it fully than having way less and in need to have more..

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not certain I agree the kicker always has to be a long shaft. Depends on the mounting or bracket height.

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
The bracket came with the boat, and it's one of those can be locked in the up position or lowered to put the prop in the water. I don't see any identifying marks on it to figure out what it's rated for.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is it a Garrelick alum bracket with middle thick plastic OB supporter ? Post a pic to check configutation.

Happy Boating

pastorbud

Chief Petty Officer
Bracket at transom is 8.5" X 5.5". Plate for motor is 10" X 8.5"

Attachments

• IMG_3007[1].jpg
    IMG_3007[1].jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3010.JPG
    IMG_3010.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3008.JPG