Repower

1983 ercoa 21'

Chief Petty Officer
Currently my built tritoon is running a 1985 150xp evinrude. Looking at repowering to a 4stroke 200hp I have narrowed my search down to the following brands .
Suzuki
Yamaha
honda
but still undecided. Any input from those who run or have experience with the above brands would be greatly appreciated.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Hondas are the quietest and smoothest around, but their dealer network sucks and I would rate them at the bottom as well.

I sold the only Yamaha I ever owned last year. It was a fine motor, but then again I only owned it a few years. Long term their maintenance requirements are above the others.

In my neighborhood Suzy branded motors are few and far between. Don't even know of a dealer that sells them.

I'm shocked Mercury wasn't even on the list. Although my collection of Evinrudes outnumbers Mercs about 10 to 1, they have come along way. Plus, THEIR dealer network is huge.

My last purchase (2017) was a Merc and my next will be as well.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Depends on local support...

Locally, you can't give away a E-Tec or Mercury outboard...certainly not impressed with the two Verado powered (275 hp) boats I've run.

Yamaha are far and away the most popular but Honda is gaining popularity with the Guide/Charter crowd due to their longevity. A good friend has almost 5000 hours on a BF225

Lots of Yamaha Grey at the docks

048.JPG

Last edited:

82rude

Rear Admiral
Dingbat is right about motors being regional.I so rarely see a Yamaha that I'm glad he posted a pic so I know what one looks like.Most likely a ratio of Mercury to Yamaha at about 200 to 1.Were lousy with older omc,s with more and more etec,s.When I was out in Victoria B.C.there was lots of Yammys and tons of Suzuki,s.Apparently theres a lot of love for the new 25hp Yamaha by outfitters.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
That’s a major step up in weight. Is the boat able to take the extra weight ? Just a thought

boobie

Supreme Mariner
I'll still go along with the Evinrude E-Tec. Less moving parts than a 4 stroke and less maintenance.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I notice a lot of Yamaha motors on boats where I live too. Do you all think they could be winning the 'low bid' to power the boats of new boat manufacturers? Just a thought I had because the low bid usually gets the job :) I would go with the Yamaha because they're so many of them.....

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Do you all think they could be winning the 'low bid' to power the boats of new boat manufacturers?.....

A lot of upper tier, offshore fishing boats running Yamaha.

Low bid scenarios on six figure boats don’t make a lot of sense

Last edited: