DVA Volt Reading Multimeters.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Finally got all the components welded as schematic diagram, will this DVA Adapter work ?

Click image for larger version  Name:	DVA Adapter.JPG Views:	1 Size:	183.1 KB ID:	10548472

clanton

Rear Admiral
1.414 X AC volts will give you DVA numbers. I use fluke 87 with adapters or stevens peak meter. I like the stevens meter, but pricey.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
!.414 X AC volts will give you DVA numbers. I use fluke 87 with adapters or stevens peak meter. I like the stevens meter, but pricey.

Is it .414 X AC Volts ? there's a symbol (!) in front of posted number which is bit confusing. Great information.

Thanks highly appreciated.

Happy Boating

clanton

Rear Admiral
Its 1.414XAC volts, sorry about that. I just got out 3 day hosp stay. will edit post. Glad you caught that.

clanton

Rear Admiral
Sea Rider: I admire anyone that can solder those small wires together and make it work,

sam am I

Commander
1.414 X AC volts will give you DVA numbers.
True (Vrms * 1.414 = Vp)......But only if the AC readings are in rms. However, the nature of the peak circuit meter (DVA/DIY adapter) is to measure and then display the peak, not rms. So no need to use this conversion when using a DVA or the DIY adapter w meter set to DC..........The adapter circuit itself is making the rms conversion for you by simply charging a cap up to then temporally holding this peak (topped off) value for display. (minus the diode's Vf drop for all you perfectionist)

I use fluke 87 with adapters
Why are you using peak adapters with a 87? It already has this peak capture function built in..........No need to add anything to a 87, this meter is plenty fast enough to capture super fast rise and duration times, esp of any mech motor's electrical systems. Faster then the fat cap inline adapters/DIY circuits in fact....

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Sam Am I,

How can you tell if AC readings are not outputted in RMS ? Tohatsu outputs charts doesn't specify, just the min and max DVA specs each component should output to work good.

If 1 amp fuse tends to blow when measuring DVA outputs, how higher would you recommend to go, say 2-3 amp fuse.

Happy Boating

sam am I

Commander
In most of the "industry" when there is NO units expressed, you would normally assume rms *(eg 120VAC is in rms)............If otherwise, it is normally explicitly stated, eg., wwDVA, xxVp, yyVpp, zzVavg,

see tohatsu's LINK pg's 7-6, 7-15, 7-34, you'll see units being expressed in their listed measurements

Yes, 2-3 amps would be fine, inrush from that cap should be so fast, 1A fuse shouldn't be able to react, if so, 2-3A would hold.

* May be converted to Vp by Vrms * 1.414 = Vp due to that this conversion is derived for sinusoidal wave forms only..... And thus, not all Vrms measurements can be accurately/predicatively converted to Vp by Vrms * 1.414 = Vp. e.g., triangle, saw tooth, white noise, pink noise, Mercury CD ig. waveforms etc, etc...

Last edited:

sam am I

Commander
It should also be stated for perhaps additional clarity that Vp = Vdva, recalling that a DVA reading is simply a peak reading(minus Vf of diode). Hence the ability of any peak function meter like the fluke 87 measuring identically and working in place of the touted "DVA" meters/adapters.

To test your DVA/DIY adapter (or any peak function meter), you should be able to measure 170Vp (120Vrms * 1.414 = 170Vp) when plug into your house outlets

Last edited: