2018 20hp efi tohatsu

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
My Boating Club has 4 same Merc OB's in constant us, all have developed serious hardening throttling issues in less than one year of use, that's a sophisticated complex tiller model, that happens when OB's works on salt water and never ever are rinsed soon after with fresh water.

Tiller will need to re removed, cleaned and greased from time to time to avoid hardening or even being stuck. OK if OB is used on fresh water environments. Just greased it from time to time for smooth throttle operation.

For me traditional tiller and gear lever system greased frequently...

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
No, I do not. If there was no difference in cost and they were side by side maybe the Mercury would be more attractive. But selling a new engine to get the same engine with a different style tiller handle seems a little off. But, it's your money and only you can decide if it would be worth it.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
Well I'm looking at the overall comfort of the merc tiller. I like how it' centered and can be used righty or lefty. I also like the fact you can move it up and down for comfort also. That is why I was even interested in it at all. The tohatsu runs awesome ,I was just intrigued by the new tiller handle. Thanks for your opinion.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I understand your point. After running a tiller fishing boat for 49 years, I finally got sick and tired of the sore arms and inconvenient steering.

Last year I gave my existing tiller boats to my son and bought a new fishing boat with a steering wheel and a binnacle engine control. Along with the package came a bimini top, so now i don't have to get sunburned every day either. Oh and its got power trim and tilt as well.

I had to put the wife back to work to pay for it, but it was worth it. Its only money, so go for whatever makes you happy.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well I'm looking at the overall comfort of the merc tiller. I like how it' centered and can be used righty or lefty. I also like the fact you can move it up and down for comfort also. That is why I was even interested in it at all. The tohatsu runs awesome ,I was just intrigued by the new tiller handle. Thanks for your opinion.

Tohatsu sells the new tiller model as a kit, assume fits standard tiller models, a matter to inquire. if both OB's are exactly same why lose money selling the Tohatsu and spend extra money on the Merc ?

​​​​​​​Happy Boating

boater1234

I'm not worried about losing a few bucks. I actually gain a nice state of the art tiller handle imo with major comfort and a larger gas tank and line is better and a added bonus. If I can sell the tohatsu for near what I paid and get the merc I really lost very little. As Jim said in time I want a cc skiff but as of now I finally after going through tons of outboards and I mean tons have finally found an outboard that's worth every single penny imo of course. I love the way this tohatsu runs so I lose nothing going to the merc as it's the same powerhead and gearcase. It's worth an extra $300-$400 for that extra comfort for yrs because if you haven't used a tiller you can't understand what discomfort you experience, the vibration tears your arm up and goes numb as well as the strain it puts on your body. It would be nice to run the tiller anyway it feels comfortable instead of dealing with one setting as the tohatsu has and most portable outboards have. You can move the tiller all the way to the right or left and up and down,no other tiller does that unless it's on higher hp models. I will take the plunge,I feel it's worth it.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I guess that if you sit at a very comfy position with a pedestal, transversal seat or wide center cosole seat don't need to play with tiller moving it constantly up/down or sideways. Must find the correct tiller driving position that comfy suits your butt well. It all depends on what each one is pleased with. If riding inflatables while seating on rear tubes it's other story.

OB excesive vibration is due to having worn rubber mount pads that floats/secures middle leg onto swivel bracket along worn swivel bracket steering bushings. Dried grease on swivel bracket interior or with too much tiller load accounts for extreme hand stress and pain while tillering, now imagine tillering for long hours.

Have found after replacing bohh mentioned parts on a Tohatsu OB after 1 K hours of use that the smoothness achieved with minimum vibration is a night and day difference than before. It's just a matter to grease from time to time the swivel bracket interior via grease nipples with a good medium density water grease and voila!!

Happy Boating

boater1234

I understand your point. After running a tiller fishing boat for 49 years, I finally got sick and tired of the sore arms and inconvenient steering.

Last year I gave my existing tiller boats to my son and bought a new fishing boat with a steering wheel and a binnacle engine control. Along with the package came a bimini top, so now i don't have to get sunburned every day either. Oh and its got power trim and tilt as well.

I had to put the wife back to work to pay for it, but it was worth it. Its only money, so go for whatever makes you happy.

That is exactly how i feel and i'm going for the merc. I just got the new pricing on the merc and it will cost me no more than $300 give or take a few bucks and imo it's well worth the extra money for comfort.With a traditional tiller you can only sit in one spot and at one level unless you use a tiller extender.With this new tiller handle it can be moved so many different ways and heights that i would be foolish not to get it.Had i known this was coming out so soon i would of waited to buy this instead of the tohatsu.I love this tohatsu more then any other outboard i have ever ran in my life and i'm being very serious about that.This merc will run exactly the same since it has the exact same power head and gear case with just a slightly different body style and a huge difference in the tiller handle that looks awesome in itself so i lose nothing in performance and gain huge in comfort.