what size kicker motor

Timdawg

Recruit
hello, new to the forum. I have an Alumacraft 17.6' mod Vee bottom bass boat. it has a 75 hp mercury 4 cyl. I want to install a small kicker motor on it after being stranded this year on Lake Erie. I was thinking about a Mercury 4-7.5hp, install a tee fitting in the fuel line for ease of operation. any thoughts on what mounting plate and size motor?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
welcome aboard.

I prefer a complete separate pickup vs a t in the line, however that is my preference

if you plan on using the kicker in rough lake erie weather, you may need to look at a 9.9 or 15. if you just want it for towing and backup for all except extreme weather, you will be fine with a 6 or 7.5. stay with twin cylinders as they run smoother than the single cylinders.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check if you can install kicker side of main and avoid a jack plate, mount whatever. Merc/Tohatsu 9.8 are top performers twin cylinders OB's in the portable range. One less size than their 9.9 brothers.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Personally, I can?t see past what is surely the best small outboard ever made.....the 2 stroke yamaha 8hp. That good, I have two of them....haha.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
I might also add that they weigh about the same as a modern 4 stroke 4hp. Very hard to get for a reasonable prIce though. Everyone wants one.

Timdawg

Recruit
I just got a n older Merc 6hp with vary low hours. starts on first pull. I'm not going out far in Lake Erie anymore. I've herd too many bad stories. next is a jacking plate. it looks like there is enough room on the factory transom mount location even at full right turn .. might not need one. thanks everyone for your suggestions.