Trading Down an Outboard

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Howdy! Long time no talk fellow iboaters. I've been kicking something around for awhile and would like your thoughts on it. I have a 16' Polarkraft flat bottom with a 25 hp Mercury two stroke. It's FAST, and I do like having that much power, but I've been pondering the merits of downsizing to a 9.9 four stroke. I really don't use the boat that often and when I do it's very likely in a shallow rocky environment such as a tail water or varied depth river, one in particular of which has a 10 hp limit. It's a light boat so I think I'd still get decent speed out of a 9.9 albeit less of course than a 25. Thoughts?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Other than the lakes with a 10hp limit you're better off with the current motor.

There are other factors that could make the smaller 4 stroke a good option though.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I have an old '59 12hp Gale I would trade you for it if you want to run slow.....LOL

remember, you dont have to open the throttle all the way

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If going per the Susy 9.9 OB just prop it right for OB to achieve max wot rpm range factory stated as currently loaded. Won't perform as a 25 but propping right will manage to take all the horses out of that 9.9.

Happy Boating