Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

Trading Down an Outboard

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trading Down an Outboard

Howdy! Long time no talk fellow iboaters. I've been kicking something around for awhile and would like your thoughts on it. I have a 16' Polarkraft flat bottom with a 25 hp Mercury two stroke. It's FAST, and I do like having that much power, but I've been pondering the merits of downsizing to a 9.9 four stroke. I really don't use the boat that often and when I do it's very likely in a shallow rocky environment such as a tail water or varied depth river, one in particular of which has a 10 hp limit. It's a light boat so I think I'd still get decent speed out of a 9.9 albeit less of course than a 25. Thoughts?
    Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
    21' Suntracker(for my girls), 16' Polarkraft MV w/ 25 HP Merc(for me), 14' Odyssey bucket raft, 16' Purple Mad River Explorer; vice-admiral's boat, but she lets me use it as long as I don't forget it's hers. Esquif Vertige

Other than the lakes with a 10hp limit you're better off with the current motor.

There are other factors that could make the smaller 4 stroke a good option though.

Comment

I have an old '59 12hp Gale I would trade you for it if you want to run slow.....LOL

remember, you dont have to open the throttle all the way
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - http://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

You could probably rig up a throttle stop on the linkage, that would only allow 1/2 throttle.

but if you want a 4 stroke, this is about the best 9.9 out there.

http://www.suzukimarine.com/Product%...,9B%20EFI.aspx

Medford, WI

Comment

If going per the Susy 9.9 OB just prop it right for OB to achieve max wot rpm range factory stated as currently loaded. Won't perform as a 25 but propping right will manage to take all the horses out of that 9.9.

Happy Boating

Sea Rider 320, 380 Sibs, 450 Rib, 2 Strokes Tohatsu 5,18 & 30 HP Proud Smokers

Comment

Working...
          X