Head Gasket Issue.-

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
As a preventive maintenance will like to change my current head gasket, this one it's not a OEM gasket, it's hand made locally to factory specs but does not have the sealing compound spread out on both sides that seals the gasket to both mating surfaces with initial heat when OB is started.

Is there a proper head gasket dresing you can recommend to apply to both gasket's sides to seal better than sitting gasket straight.

Happy Boating

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Changing the head gaskets is generally not preventative maintenance. But why don't you get an OEM gasket? As for sealers, some people use permatex, others use paint, copper coat, Teflon pipe dope, etc. Still others use what I despise, Silicone or RTV

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks, for me it's preventive maintenance, why wait for head gasket to become hardened not seal well and let salt water droplets pass and seize cylinder head bolts. This issue has happened before, OB's used on salt water needs more preventive maintenance than OB's used on fresh water no matter if been flushed all day long with fresh water after each outing.

Usually change head gasket each 300 worked hours, take advantage to decarbonize piston heads, cylinder head, clean all water paths, thermostat. That way will have an excellent OB performer, nothing to envy a new out of the box one. It's near 0 fun cost as all the work is entirely done by myself, doesn't matter if takes time.

If going for OEM ones will need to be imported from USA and will end costing no less than $ 60-65 compared to just $ 12 of the local one. It's not about the money, it's all about the hassle between ordering it and long waiting to be delivered down here.

Happy Boating

atimm693

Seaman
Permatex copper spray is the only thing I know of that is designed for head gasket use.