Gas-how old?

cj7ole

Seaman
My ski boat has been mostly in storage for the last four years. I top it off at the end of the season and add Stabil. At most 10 gallons of fresh e10 gas in a 30 gallon tank. This year I put less than an hour on it. Each year it starts up ok. How long can I keep doing this?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
up until the point the gas turns to sludge and you need to clean out your fuel system.

take the boat out, run the heck out of it for a few hours, burn fuel, put in fresh

why only 1 hour of time in a season?

alldodge

Staff member
+1 Agree
If you can get a hold of pure gas (E0) start using it, then no stabil and will last much longer.

cj7ole

Seaman
My son has his ski boat at my house since his divorce, mine is up north in a friends garage. If it looks like it might be a permanent situation, I might trade it for a pontoon now that I have hit the big 70. I am down to skiing once or twice a year to prove I can still do it. Might know by next summer.

Edit: I run marine gas in the Yamaha as that is all they have at the FL marinas.

I have been running e10 in everything including my outboard and small engines since e10 has been in the pumps with no problems. I think the whole ethanol scare is a ploy to get us to spend another one to two bucks a gallon for fun juice.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
dont slow down, use the boat and go skiing as often as posible it will keep you young

ethanol issues arise on boats and motors that sit....... so dont let it sit unused.