Help Please!

Wasabibuzz

Cadet
Hi Everyone! I hope to get some quick answers/ideas since we are currently traveling with our boat...and are new to boat ownership.

We have a 1967 Shasta Performer with a Merc 25 outboard (1995 I think). This is the first time we've had it in the ocean -- a protected bay. We took it out crabbing yesterday and it was going great until we stopped to pick up a crab pot. We can't get the boat to move faster than a slow putter. It reverses fine and the engine sounds good (no sputtering or rough idling). It just won't go forward! Luckily we were able to sloooooowly make it back to the ramp.

I called my bro who suggested a few scenarios: clogged fuel filter, busted throttle cable, or gas tank that wasn't vented.

We don't have access to a marina. My hope is the simplest option - gas tank wasn't vented. Question: wouldn't the engine start to sputter a little and run rough if it wasn't getting air? This happened quickly after idling for just 5 mins or so.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks!

Attachments

• photo246186.jpeg
    photo246186.jpeg
    90.1 KB · Views: 0

hardwater fisherman

Lieutenant Commander
The motor looks newer than 1995. Maybe a moderator could move this to the Mercury forum for you. Is it a 2 stroke or 4 stroke?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Any OB will eventually start to miss & die from fuel starvation when tank's vent remains closed, check if all is OK with vent opened.

Happy Boating