Engine jack

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I whant a device to lift and carry outboards in the garage. Take outboard on a boat or on a carrier and bring to the test-tank etc, i already have track and chain-bloc but i need another system.

​I saw that , Torin engine jack :

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4311_200514311

​It seem to be made to carry entire outboard just by the lower unit whit 750 lbs capacity.

​what do you think about that jack ? Do someone ever try this ? I'm a little bit souspicious about how the engine can be safely be hold just by the lower unit by this system.......And they don't show pictures whit engine on it.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Been moving outboards all week w an engine hoist.

A top heavy outboard engine supported by its anti-vent plate, wouldnt be my favorite choice.

After looking thru the listed manual, I think its intended as an OUTDRIVE lift/mover not an outboard.

The directions say to consult the motor manufacturers specs and lift it by the correct lifting points. No where on that lift setup is going to be contacting and lifting from the factory specxd lift points.

Welcome to the Pacific rim language/translation barrier.......

Outdrive~outboard.... not the same thing...

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Me to first tinking it just for the outdrive, but they mention outboard marine engine at some place, and specify that outboards motor are heavy on the top and to support them by another mean while working on ..............And 750 lbs capacity i don't think it's just for the outdrive ?

​This is confusing beacauses in the commentary peoples mostly use it for their outdrive.but they mention that de device is made for entire outboard motor.

​My first use is for mooving outboad (15-35 hp 2/4 strokes) motors in my garage beetwin work stand and storage rack, or to test tank (my test tank already have system to lift outboards by the braket:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDwLU2epAZI

.......Most engine in that size have not hook for suspend them , and take time to install slings/straps at each time just for moove few feets is sometime frustrating.Thats wy i try to know if that engine jack can made the job for me....

​Sure It exist a good device for that but not the same prince !!!

http://specialtymotorsmfg.com/motortoters.htm

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
not sure I would trust the rating on stuff from Northern Tool. its basically the same stuff as harbor freight

jbcurt00

Staff member
Yep, thats what it says, but I dont think I'd want to lift a 300lb+ outboard w it.....

I also think the manual reads like its supposed to say outdrive instead of outboard. The translation to/from english often gets messed up a tad in the manuals w foriegn made stuff, hence the PacRim comment. Sold at Northern, and w several Torin products available at Walmart, suggests where its likely manufactured.

If you think it will help you easily move 15-35hp motors enough to justify the cost, give it a try. Just make sure you know Northerns return policy, esp if you plan to have it shipped, its a 160-170lb box.

A modern 4stroke 35hp isnt light, but isnt nearly 750lbs. Strap it down good, maybe it grabs, supports and carries weight better then it looks.....

Put for the Fat50, it hasnt been overly difficult to move several 35hp and a Merc600 around w a strap and/or my engine hoist. YMMV.

Interesting to note that the listed web site, TorinJacks.com, doesnt list this jack in its product line.

Also note the 1 reviewers comment at Northern: theres a discrepancy between Torins and Northerns listed min and max lift heights.

Good luck....

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I think i will try do make my own version of the motor totter , that not only use the plate for support , like the second link .

​More i think and more youre wright, i't impossible to move an outboard just by de lower-unit ........,

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have some home made dolly for work ou moove aroud , but i just need someting to remove quickly the outboards out of the dolly whitout using my chainblock, for transfert to my test tank arm or on a boat or vice-versa

Heres my home-made dollys : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1iKxZQWpvQw&t=16s

Last edited: