Understanding Outboard vs. Inboard Engines

Bigskyboat

Seaman
I was a little Leary of getting a I/O. I was looking for a outboard, but I found this one in great shape for a fair price. And it was a local guy. I really have no complaints about a I/O. In some cases I think having a I/O makes a little more room, even with the dog house. And my 3.0 seems to just sip the gas, which I like.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm facing the opposite possibility - seeing potential OBs starting to emerge...will post more on that later to get feedback from all who cautioned me against landing on a choice too soon!

Bigskyboat

Seaman
Rookster, are you hoping to get your boat this spring? I'm curious to find out what you get, and how you like it.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yup - settled on the Crownline 180BR 3.0L. Posted the update, sorry you missed it!

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
What's your top speed with that 3.0?

Weighs in at 2,200lbs and I get 35mph at 4600rpm with me and one passenger, and about 32mph with full load. When I'm pulling our 3-person tube, it takes only 20mph to whip them around and have a blast...anything over 25mph and it becomes dangerous as well as gas guzzling...more than enough top end.