Help me choose, 2017 Yamaha F25 or 2017 Mercury 20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
Like the title says, I'm looking to upgrade my 1999 Nissan 9.8 2-stroke with a new 4-stroke motor. Reason being I troll a lot and I want a 4-stroke to reduce the smoke and rough idle. I have a 12" SIB w/aluminum floor, usually 2 ppl loaded up is around 1000lbs with boat, motor, gear, etc...

I'm looking to invest in a new motor, not to buy and sell in a few years, but one to keep for a long time. Things important to me are ease of maintenance, reliability and suits my intended use.

Here are the 2 options I have, please don't suggest any others cause I've already narrowed it down to these final 2.

Option #1 - 2017 Yamaha F25, 432cc, 126lbs, fuel injection, variable trolling speed control (50 rpm increments from 750-1050 rpm) - $4000 CAD

Option #2 - 2017 Mercury 20, 351cc, 115lbs, carbureted, no real additional features aside from the all-in-one tiller/gear selector - $2500 CAD

Obviously the cost difference between the 2 isn't small.. $1500 savings, but if the Merc 20 doesn't perform well while trolling or isn't reliable and spends more time in the shop then the price difference to me isn't much since my weekends fishing/boating are priceless, and if the motor needs to be in the shop cause it needs repairs then that would really suck.

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Bot are excellent motors reliability won't be an issue pretty sure the merc is made by tohatsu. The Fuel injection on the yamaha is a really nice feature and will have much better running quality than a carb motor. I would say if you have the money buy the motor that has the features you want and need.

Slayer33

Seaman Apprentice
Bot are excellent motors reliability won't be an issue pretty sure the merc is made by tohatsu. The Fuel injection on the yamaha is a really nice feature and will have much better running quality than a carb motor. I would say if you have the money buy the motor that has the features you want and need.

Hmmm.... what about a Suzuki? I know I wasn't accepting any additional options at first, but there is a dealer about 20 miles from my place that sells them.. I got a price on the Suzuki DF20A for $3500... its fuel injected.. kind of right in the middle of the 2 options..

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a 08 Yamaha F60. It is easy to start, runs so quite and smooth, and incredible on fuel economy. If you can afford the extra $$$, I think the investment will pay off in the end.

charleso

Petty Officer 2nd Class
And I believe Yamaha parts would probably be more readily available in the future than Suzuki...just my 2? worth.

mickjetblue

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 15 year old Nissan/Tohatsu 18hp 4 stroke motor, and it has never been in the shop. I have done only basic preventive maintenance.
The carb outboards do very well with Stabil added to the fuel. Fuel stabilizer should be a stated requirement.
My outboard motor still runs like new.

Being on a bargain basement budget, I'd go for the better deal.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I would pick the Yamaha over the Suzuki because it's an extra 5 hp and the adjustable trolling idle. If you don't like the 20 hp it will cost you much more later to upgrade to a 25. For me if money is no issue the yamaha is the one to own. Do any of these motors offer power tilt or a t/n/t system as a standard accessory.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The Yamaha is better, the price is higher, so it's up to you.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The Yammy has a great displacement so it will provide more torque at all speeds. Which Dealer has a better rep for service, and which is closer? 20 -25 hp on a 12 footer is a lot. I assume you are here in Canada, the only thing they care about is if you have the boat licensed if it has more than 10hp and the now mandatory operator license.

pckeen

Commander
Suzuki motors are great, so they are worth a look. I own a fuel injected Yamaha F90, and have been very happy with it. You are comparing apples and oranges. The price difference between the Yamaha and Mercury are due to the significant differences in technology. Carburetted motors are 'old' technology, fuel injection is much newer. If you are planning to keep this for the long haul, the extra $1500 is probably well spent. If you want to get a better comparison, check out the price of a fuel injected Merc.

ehenry

Commander
Slayer, did you ever make a decision on an engine? If you did and went with the Yamaha what is your opinion of it. I've considering the F25 efi for a 14ft flat bottom and looking for opinions.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Slayer, did you ever make a decision on an engine? If you did and went with the Yamaha what is your opinion of it. I've considering the F25 efi for a 14ft flat bottom and looking for opinions.

Maybe he'll show up again. Hasn't been here since March.

ehenry

Commander
Thanks, GA_Boater. I've been away from the forums for a while. Thanks for the reply.

Status
Not open for further replies.