NEW 2017 25HP 4 STROKE EFI YAMAHA

Status
Not open for further replies.

boater1234

Master Chief Petty Officer
[FONT=&quot]Anyone see the new 2017 25hp efi 4 stroke yamaha? Man what a sweet outboard. Looks very promising. It is a 432 cc engine at 126lbs which makes it the lightest engine in it's class. Yamaha finally smarten up by having a manual rope start on the electric models like they should all have in the portable class. Once I get enough money I may get a new 25hp suzuki or yamaha, now it will make my life harder now trying to pick from these 2 awesome outboards. I have the 20hp efi suzuki now and love it and may keep that forever to. The Yamaha looks like a really sweet and powerful engine. Yamaha claims it's faster and more powerful than it's 25hp 2 stroke yamaha. If so that is an extremely impressive outboard if you ask me. So anyone see it yet,watch it run on YouTube, looks like a real winner like the suzuki.[/FONT]

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To claim that a 4 strokes is faster than same 2 strokes model. Need to race test 2 same equal boats loaded evenly, both OB's running at their max wot range on flat calm no wind water cond. If it's not tested that way, it's pure propaganda...

Japs don't manufacture crappy OB's, going for a Yam, Suzuki or Tohatsu will be fine. It's down to a your brand prefference.

Happy Boating

boater1234

I've seen 2 people who finally got the new 25hp efi yamaha running in the tiller version and both say the same thing, no power,no emmmmphhhh. I don't know how true it is but I'm glad I have my 20hp suzuki because it rocks.

ehenry

Commander
I"ve been wondering if anyone had any real world info one of these engines. So, its still ringing true that a 4-stroke 25 is low on power/torque? I asked about this engine on Yamaha repair forum and didn't get any replies. I hope to hear from others running this engine.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In reality you must re prop any OB for your particular needs soon after break in period ends to run at least middle to max wot rpm factory range as loaded. Factory delivered props are usually medium pitched ones which doesn't means are suitable for your current application. Will need an induction tach to check that...

Happy Boating

boater1234

If i'm buying a 25hp engine it's going to be either the 25hp efi suzuki or the 25hp etec.I like yamaha and they are stellar engines but it's to early to tell how good this new engine will perform and hold up.The 25hp suzuki has insane torque and is as reliable as they come.I have the 20hp efi suzuki and it is a little beast of an outboard.Also Tohatsu just came out with their new 15/20hp engine so will have to keep and eye on that to.The weight on a new 2018 20hp efi tohatsu rope start is only 94.5 lbs so a hair lighter than my suzuki at 97 lbs. That is amazing how they are making these engines lighter and lighter.The older carb model in a rope start for the 20hp tohatsu was 115-120lbs so to be at 94.5lbs is amazing imo. That is a very big difference.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
When I was running a 9.5 on my tinny, I switched to an 18 and the difference was stellar. Then I switched to a brand new 25. I was sorry I did. It cost me a ton of money and the performance was really no better than the 18. I ended up putting the 25 on a brand new boat and now the 9.5 is back on the tinny. We use her in backwaters, but that's another story.

Seems to me that replacing a good running 20 with a 25 would provide diminishing returns. Maybe a few more mph and a few more mpg? If you are just hankering for a new motor, that's one thing. Go for it - life is short. But if you need a significant improvement, then I think it won't happen.

boater1234

I've really been,going back and forth on this. I know if I get the 25hp suzuki I will definitely break the 30mph mark so I would be gaining say 5+ mph but I would also be eating more fuel as you said. I truly like the 3rd cylinder as it makes so much of a difference while idling along and with the torque. Here is why I may go with the 25hp . I can sell my new suzuki for $2500-$2600 then get a brand new 2018 25hp suzuki for only $3000. Imo spending only an extra $400-$500 is a no brainer. Wouldn't you agree on that at least at a money stand point?????. Also gaining 5mph or possibly more is not to shabby imo,plus the torque and smoother idling is also a bonus. When I take 3 or 4 people fishing the 25hp would also handle that weight much better. I may just keep it till next summer then decide what to do. My engine has less than an hr on it so I figured as I'm breaking it in it will get a bit smoother running once all the internal parts are meshed and the rings are set all the way. Either way I think the 20hp is a stellar engine but having a few extra ponies is not a bad thing,plus the oil filter is so much easier to change on the 25hp,with the 20hp you have to take the side cover off and take some things apart,the 25hp you spin it off and spin a new one on and your done.

boater1234

The new 20hp efi tohatsu is a really sweet looking engine as well. It's all redesigned from the bottom up. Who knows I may look at that as well at some point. It's only 94.5 lbs,super light and it's much easier to do maintenance on then my suzuki, way better warranty and better gear ratio will help spin a slightly bigger prop I do believe. I watch YouTube videos all the time so will see how she performs. I still think the 25hp suzuki would be my best bet.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I've really been,going back and forth on this. I know if I get the 25hp suzuki I will definitely break the 30mph mark so I would be gaining say 5+ mph but I would also be eating more fuel as you said. I truly like the 3rd cylinder as it makes so much of a difference while idling along and with the torque. Here is why I may go with the 25hp . I can sell my new suzuki for $2500-$2600 then get a brand new 2018 25hp suzuki for only $3000. Imo spending only an extra $400-$500 is a no brainer. Wouldn't you agree on that at least at a money stand point?????. Also gaining 5mph or possibly more is not to shabby imo,plus the torque and smoother idling is also a bonus. When I take 3 or 4 people fishing the 25hp would also handle that weight much better. I may just keep it till next summer then decide what to do. My engine has less than an hr on it so I figured as I'm breaking it in it will get a bit smoother running once all the internal parts are meshed and the rings are set all the way. Either way I think the 20hp is a stellar engine but having a few extra ponies is not a bad thing,plus the oil filter is so much easier to change on the 25hp,with the 20hp you have to take the side cover off and take some things apart,the 25hp you spin it off and spin a new one on and your done.
HP vs. Speed is not linear, but rather a logarithmic relationship. Gaining 5 more mph is doubtful. Used motor prices vs. actual sale prices may also be wishful thinking.

But who am I to be a naysayer? Life is too short to worry about what to do next. Buy it and try it - nobody can give you the correct data that will make your decision a no-brainer. Just keep the old one too. That way you can go either way.

boater1234

I sold my suzuki for $2500 so I'm happy but I decided to stay with the 20hp class because I was satisfied with the overall performance of my suzuki regarding speed. I'm bought the brand new 20hp efi tohatsu,it got huge rav reviews buy a few boaters magazines and is rated as the number one 20hp 4 stroke in its class for overall performance as well as warranty and i love the ease of maintenance compared to the suzuki.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Most boaters bypass or doesn't know that you need to dial a top prop performer for your particular watercraft when break in period has ended or when buying second OB's or combos for that matter. On portables OB's need to install an induction tach for that enterprise. Usually speaking, all factory delivered props are medium pitched, most of the time are over propped for your watercraft, so a less pitch prop is the way to go to pull wot revs around middle to max wot rpm range although max range is preferred as usually loaded.

Happy Boating

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
boater bought a Tohatsu, so this thread is no longer applicable.

Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.