Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

chrisp929

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

i can't believe you guys missed the sticky on top of this forum.

Titled Building an O/B motor stand - Instructional

http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=266570

I LITERALLY just built this for my 50 hp johson long shaft last night. It went together within 2 hours, and i used the EXACT plans including screws, glue, casters, and lag bolts. Follow instructions in detail and you will be fine.

I spent $62 at home depot. But i'll be bringing back the 2x6 as i had one laying around the house already that i forgot.

I checked it this morning, the glue is mostly dry and it's solid as a rock. I'm 235 lbs and 6'6". i jumped on top if it and sat on it while rocking around and it didn't squeek or move bit.

The only thing i would have done differently is to have made it a LITTLE BIT taller. In case i ever have to mount an extra long shaft outboard to it. But when that day comes, i'll just add another 2x6 piece to the top, re enforce, and fuggedebadit.

EDIT:
Here she is .. took me a couple hours to unrig her. Never did it before. Pretty strait forward. Engine stand works great. I wish i had gone a few inches taller. Still works fine. Center of gravity should be low.
DSC01415.jpg

NPHall

Recruit

This stand looks great and I will build one in the next couple of weeks. It looks like a large Johnson or Evinrude on the stand so it can hold some weight, that is good. Thanks so much for these demensions and the picture. I plan to make the following changes:

1. Increase width to hold a large garbage can under transum to be able to start engine in a tube rather than via a hose, to reduce noise.
2. Put it on a set of 4 large lockable caster wheels to role.
3. Flip the lower arms 90-degrees so that they open up a bit more room at the bottom and have stronger vertical weight support, and so that they can hold 4 heavy hinges to be able to fold flat and store against garage wall when not in use.
4. Build a bracer bar for the bottom end, instead of the fixed wooden support, so the bracer bar can be dropped into two (or four?) 1/2 inch holes in the boards to stablize the end when in use using dowls for incerts.
Put in a small parts table on the outside flat surface to hold parts and tools on hinges and support braces so it will fold flat (thanks for that idea).

I will let you know how it comes out. Hope it works???

Again Thanks so much for this picture, this is a very good stand. It will need to hold my Merc-90 until my new engines arrives. Then I will sell the Merc 90HP and swap out the new one.
My best to all,
Nick

NPHall

Recruit

Thinking about this stand some more, I wonder if there is a way to put on a small block-&-tackle or arm-hoist that can life a 100HP engine off the boat, and then swing around to lower it on to this stand? Kind of a hoist-stand combination made of wood. Something where a small come-along ratchet cable can be threaded through a set of two pulleys or something. Where you have an inverted ?L? bracket made of a couple of laminated 2x4s with the come-along attached to the long arm. Then you lower the L bracket (upside down) into an insert to hold the laminated 2x4 arm, then you lift the motor off the boat and then swing it to the stand. The insert for the L arm would have to be round or made of something that turns. Any ideas on this? The L arm would have to be measured to both lift the motor, but also swing to the stand so that the motor can be lowered to the middle of the stand transom bracket. Not sure if this can be done, but if someone can figure this out, it would be a very big step for us do-it-yourselfers. It would be very cool to life the motor, swing it around, work on it or store it, then us the same stand to remount the motor on the same or another boat. Can someone sharp figure out how to build this and post it? I will give it a try this winter.

Stamey

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used the plans in the sticky, and except for needing to extend the height 5", for my long shaft engine, it worked great. I did misinterpret the angle on one end of the support braces and had to re-cut, but other than that it went well.

picture.php

picture.php

Thanks,
Chris

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

Yep, the sticky has served me well, I made that stand 2 years ago. Here it is during my most recent project. If I had some casters on it it would be tall enough to leave the lower unit installed on my long shaft outboard. I had the wood laying around, and but no casters, so I went the free route lol. It has no trouble holding up the 4 cyl chrysler motors I've had on it.

Attachments

• stand.jpg
    stand.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 2

pepperrocks

Recruit

Newbie to iboats, I really enjoyed the different ideas of how to make a stand, I have an 8hp nissan and a 100hp johnson should i just fab one out of metal, for the mass of my johnson? Or can a stout wood one hold up??
Thanks

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

A wood one will hold up just fine. Mine had no problem holding up the 140 chrysler that was on it. I followed the instructions on the sticky post.

confederatemule

Recruit

I know this is an old thread, but that is what is so great about forums. Even old threads can be very helpful, and this one has been helpful to me.

Thanks to all, for your suggestions to the original poster.

Mule

arnott

Recruit

Thanks for the ideas everyone. Here's mine. Cost $60, 4 hours, used screws all around, 3" caster wheels that swivel. All cross pieces are 3', w/ exception of the base cross pieces which are 3" short of 3'. Rest are 4', with angles cut on the diagonal pieces. Lowes made all the straight cuts for free. If I did it again, I'd change a few things: 1) move the front wheels further forward... it's not as stable as it should be; 2) use a power screwdriver instead of a drill for putting in screws (I know ... wrong tool) - I bent or stripped over 10 screws. 3) I missed the "sticky" everyone keeps talking about until after or I would've used those directions!

IMG_0001.jpg

Last edited:

coolness

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey Chrisp - I built the same one!! I have my '48 Scottie 3.6 and Minn Kota trolling motor on it. :) Very solid!!

vin man

Cadet

My solution for the 50HP motor I don't plan on using much:

IMG-20110902-00058.jpg

Chandler-20110902-00059.jpg

essdee

Seaman Apprentice

My solution for the 50HP motor I don't plan on using much:

IMG-20110902-00058.jpg

Chandler-20110902-00059.jpg

I've got an Evinrude 90HP on a stand very similar to this. I made it myself - but it's bolted rather than welded. I have been servicing the motor on the stand but now need to test start it. Do you think the stand can handle the torque and vibration (the motor's plate says it weighs about 100kg), or will it fall apart?

I do NOT plan to rev anything more than idle - this is just a preliminary start-up to rule out any issues before I put it back on the boat (and then have to work on it outdoors in case there are any issues).

I've got a 2-ton hoist which I will hook-up to the engine and slightly tension the ropes - in case the frame snaps.

Yes/No? Or is this headed for disaster?

Thanks!

vin man

Cadet

I've got an Evinrude 90HP on a stand very similar to this. I made it myself - but it's bolted rather than welded. I have been servicing the motor on the stand but now need to test start it. Do you think the stand can handle the torque and vibration (the motor's plate says it weighs about 100kg), or will it fall apart?

I do NOT plan to rev anything more than idle - this is just a preliminary start-up to rule out any issues before I put it back on the boat (and then have to work on it outdoors in case there are any issues).

I've got a 2-ton hoist which I will hook-up to the engine and slightly tension the ropes - in case the frame snaps.

Yes/No? Or is this headed for disaster?

Thanks!

i'm sure welded could handle dont know about bolted

essdee

Seaman Apprentice

i'm sure welded could handle dont know about bolted

Thanks for the quick reply Vin Man.

I've used solid 10mm (3/8inch) MS bolts (8.8 medium carbon steel/ Rockwell C23-34), and the frame is heavy-gauge angle iron. Folks I've shown it to, say it can handle it - plus I've got the hoist as a safety net.

From a welded perspective, have you ever started your motor on that particular stand?

Thanks!

vin man

Cadet

Thanks for the quick reply Vin Man.

I've used solid 10mm (3/8inch) MS bolts (8.8 medium carbon steel/ Rockwell C23-34), and the frame is heavy-gauge angle iron. Folks I've shown it to, say it can handle it - plus I've got the hoist as a safety net.

From a welded perspective, have you ever started your motor on that particular stand?

Thanks!

I have not started mine up, but I would not hesitate to do so. But my motor is smaller than yours too. (motor envy). I'm sure the bolts would do fine with the smaller motor, but I just don't know (nor am I an expert in any way) about the larger HP.

If it were me, I would definitely give it a try. Just be ready to hit the kill switch if the vibration gets to be too much.

pbroux

Recruit

Could somone post pictures of a stand they made out of a medical walker, please???