Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

busboy

Cadet
Re: Need to build outboard motor stand: Any plans, pics, suggestions?

Jollymon, I'll take a set of the pics too. Thanks<br />Mikemac37@yahoo.com

Stefan Schmitt

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks for all the input! Here is the result:<br />
Stand01.jpg
<br /><br />
Stand02.jpg
<br /><br />I put 3" castor wheels on (the most expensive thing at $7/ea at Lowe's). The total construction cost including bolts: approx $40.<br /><br />It's about 4" higher than I would like but it will work fine - I should've done the total height of the stand at 32" instead of 35" <br /><br />I'm happy though :p

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Here are the ones I just made....and my Merc 35 looks identical to yours!<br /><br />I made it to include my batteries and gas tanks, and it is on swivel casters so I can move it around. This thing is stout....May use it to hold my bikes when I get my boat back together!<br /><br />
enginestand1.jpg
<br />
enginestand2.jpg
<br />
enginestand3.jpg
<br />
enginestand4.jpg

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Here are a couple of pics for my all steel little OB stand.. Its been very handy and its much smaller then it would have been had I used wood.<br /><br />Its got a nice handle on the back of the mounting point so I can walk it around easily..<br /><br />
ob_stand1.jpg
<br /><br />
ob_stand2.jpg
<br /><br />As you can see, this one is for the little motors.. but it does the job nicely..<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki

Franki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

oh, almost forgot..<br /><br />Here is what I hold the bigger motors up with...<br /><br />Its allot less mobile, but it can hold 3 motors..<br />(seen here with an old Evinrude 80 and an even older Evinrude Lark 40HP.)<br /><br />This thing started life as a home made clothes horse that I got at a garage sale for 5 bucks.. I then bolted a ruddy great lump of wood across it, and chained it to the Verandah pole for some extra stability.. When I put it there, I told the old lady that it was a temperary fixture that I'd remove when I was finished, but its been 2 years now.. this thing is just too handy.<br /><br />rgds<br /><br />Franki<br /><br />
big_ob_stand.jpg
<br />
big_ob_stand2.jpg

JasonJ

Rear Admiral

The stands looks good. I have found mine to be indispensable. I have had 4 outboards on it, and have a fifth, a 1956 Johnson 30 horse, on it now that I will be repainting. When I am not using mine, I can put it where my rolling tool chest is, and tuck the tool chest into it so it takes up no room in the garage.

BoatingVermont

Recruit

I would love to see a picture of your stand if you figured out how to post a picture - I am pretty new so I have not looked into it yet.

Either way, what size casters did you use? I have gravel and crushed ashalt. I have 4 large pneumatic swivel casters - probably like 6 or 8 inches - curious what you are using and how it is working out.

Thanks,

Dirk

I like that wood stand its cool. I have one I made out of steel (I have a welder). It has larger wheels so I can roll it around in gravel. I dont know how to post a picture on this site seems complicated. <br /> Best,Peter

oommd

Cadet

You Guys are the greatest!

Everything I love about america is contained in these posts, do it yourselfers helping each other.
Ive got to get my little kicker down the street to the mechanic, didnt want to lay it down in my truck, I thought "Wonder what other guys do" and hit the posts. Im now going to time myself and build one this afternoon. Then ill post the results.
Ready set go, its 2:25Pm

oommd

Cadet

15hpjohnson_cartS.jpg

Finished at 6.45 pm, little over 4 hours later and $6.30 for lags I didnt have and Im ready to have thing worked on while im out fishing. I think it will double to hold my 70hp johnson should I ever need to take that off. I think I can fit a garbage can of water under it motor to run it in place.

The cart is an old glass cart that used to have an aframe attached, I knew I was saving it for some reason!

thanks to this forum!

There are pictures and plans available for an outboard motor stand under the "Engine FAQ section" here in the Repair and Maintenance Forum. Top of the forum when you first open it up.

to all,

ya'll will probably lol AT me, but i've built NUMEROUS OB motor stands out of a Senior Citizen's WALKER that i buy at "thrift shops" for 5.oo or less & "modify" with 4 (3/16") bolts, washers, wingnuts & a piece of scrap 2x8 board. - i look for the ones with WHEELS.

the good things about my homebrew "motor stands":
1. cheap to make,
2. "come apart" & fold up so that they fit in the trunk of my car to take to AOMCI meets,
3. will securely hold well over 250# (they MUST be safe for disabled people weighing 300#, i'm told.),
4. adjustable in height (so that i can "fiddle with" my "Big Twins", while sitting down)
and
5. "roll around" easily too (my OB "repair shop" is the kitchen of my apartment.).

yours, PG

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

to all,

ya'll will probably lol AT me, but i've built NUMEROUS OB motor stands out of a Senior Citizen's WALKER that i buy at "thrift shops" for 5.oo or less & "modify" with 4 (3/16") bolts, washers, wingnuts & a piece of scrap 2x8 board. - i look for the ones with WHEELS.

the good things about my homebrew "motor stands":
1. cheap to make,
2. "come apart" & fold up so that they fit in the trunk of my car to take to AOMCI meets,
3. will securely hold well over 250# (they MUST be safe for disabled people weighing 300#, i'm told.),
4. adjustable in height (so that i can "fiddle with" my "Big Twins", while sitting down)
and
5. "roll around" easily too (my OB "repair shop" is the kitchen of my apartment.).

yours, PG

That's cool. Can you post some pics of how you did it?

robert graham

Admiral

I just took some nails and some 2" by 4" studs and built mine in about an hour. Also, I noticed Harbor Freight tools has a full line of inexpensive casters, wheels and rollers if you need your motor stand to be mobile. Good Luck!

AZcamperguy,

sorry for the slow response = i've been "out of the net" for a bit.

also, i don't even OWN a camera, so i cannot post pictures.

BUT all you have to do is mount the @2foot piece of lumber (i use 2x8 scraps from our company's "scrap pile", because they are FREE.) on the front of the walker with 2 bolts/nuts/washers on either side & the put the OB onto the "stand", with the "weight" of the motor to the INSIDE of the stand.

"the stand" will securely hold a '60s FORTY horse electric start "Johnnyrude", with NO chance of "collapse", forever.

hoping that helps.

yours, PG

paw2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Here is a picture of mine, its holding up a 140hp motor, very solid, later will be adding casters so I can move it in the garage.
DCP_3772.jpg

took about 2 hrs with a chop saw, and I used 5/16 carriage bolts. The frame is 2x4's and motor mount is 2x6. I made it tall so I can drop the lower unit easier. In the foreground is my engine hoist so I can lift the motor off and on.

With a few pictures you can make something that suits your needs, and tweak it as needed.

Someday I'll clean the garage

AZcamperguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

AZcamperguy,

sorry for the slow response = i've been "out of the net" for a bit.

also, i don't even OWN a camera, so i cannot post pictures.

BUT all you have to do is mount the @2foot piece of lumber (i use 2x8 scraps from our company's "scrap pile", because they are FREE.) on the front of the walker with 2 bolts/nuts/washers on either side & the put the OB onto the "stand", with the "weight" of the motor to the INSIDE of the stand.

"the stand" will securely hold a '60s FORTY horse electric start "Johnnyrude", with NO chance of "collapse", forever.

hoping that helps.

yours, PG

Thanks man, I finally picked up a walker at a garage sale for 10 bucks. I bought some nuts etc. for 3 bucks. I had a 2x4 so I used that. I think I will redo it though and find a 2x6 or 8 for better support. Seems like it will work well though. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Catfishmonkey

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I would love to see a picture of that 'Walker' setup you put together.

Hey, is it possible to use a regular wooden 'horse' for a motor stand, or would there be a problem with that?

Pyr8

Cadet

Here is a picture of mine, its holding up a 140hp motor, very solid, later will be adding casters so I can move it in the garage.
DCP_3772.jpg

took about 2 hrs with a chop saw, and I used 5/16 carriage bolts. The frame is 2x4's and motor mount is 2x6. I made it tall so I can drop the lower unit easier. In the foreground is my engine hoist so I can lift the motor off and on.

With a few pictures you can make something that suits your needs, and tweak it as needed.

Someday I'll clean the garage

I'm building a stand ASAP, I was wondering how tall you made yours. I'd like to have decent access to the lower units too... I've currently got 3 Merc inlines (125, 85, 60) and a lil 'rude 15 tiller.

Thanks