Chipped Skeg

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I made a big rookie mistake (cause I am a rookie) and I pulled my boat up the launch with the lower unit down and dent up the lower unit and broke a piece off, see attached picture. I am planning on selling the boat but what should I do with it, don't want it to be a big deal breaker. Should I weld it back on?

Attachments

• photo218580.jpg
    photo218580.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 0

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
Or do nothing at all. It certainly will not affect the performance of the boat - nor change the protection of the skeg. If you are worried about it affecting the value of the boat as you sell it, then sure. Weld the little piece back on and paint it. Otherwise I would say leave it alone.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
It can be welded on, polished up and painted so it look new again...

Bondo

Staff member
I am planning on selling the boat but what should I do with it,

Ayuh,..... Spray some black Rustoleum on the skeg, 'n toss the chip into a cup-holder on-board,....

If a buyer questions it, tell 'em what happened, 'n where They can find the chip to weld back on,.....

That missin' piece don't mean squat in real life,....

johnzonh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just remember before you install any type of guard...the skeg is designed to break for that reason. Broken off or not... just there to avoid you whacking your prop..If you do get it welded...get someone really knowing what to do with aluminum and the gears inside the drive. No need to create an even larger problem than just a broken piece. To echo Bondo... paint it over...save the piece and explain it to the new owner

achris

More fish than mountain goat
That's nothing to worry about... THIS is a broken skeg!!! Ran like that for about 8 years before I bothered to strip the box and have a new skeg welded on...

DSC03242-2.jpg

driver_dav

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Only person I know with a welder said he couldn't weld it due to the material, I thought about grinding down the back side at an angle to the whole thing to hide it then paint it

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
I wouldn't add a skeggard if you're selling. It would signal that something is/was wrong or hit something, etc. Either weld and repaint or grind to smooth out break and leave it at that, Will look like wear and tear. (which it is)

oldjeep

Admiral
I wouldn't add a skeggard if you're selling. It would signal that something is/was wrong or hit something, etc. Either weld and repaint or grind to smooth out break and leave it at that, Will look like wear and tear. (which it is)

Dunno, the people who looked at my boat when I sold it didn't mind the skeggard. Told them why it was there and showed a picture of what was missing under it. I did ultimately paint the scuffs on the side of the drive that were from a weed roller that someone left running at a dock I tied off to ;)

P7160002.JPG

P7160003.JPG

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
I've used quick-set JB Weld to build up/repair chipped skegs with great success....apply a blob and form it generally in the shape you need, let it set hard, file, sand and paint....very easy repair!....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Ayuh,..... Spray some black Rustoleum on the skeg, 'n toss the chip into a cup-holder on-board,....

If a buyer questions it, tell 'em what happened, 'n where They can find the chip to weld back on,.....

That missin' piece don't mean squat in real life,....

Jeezzz don't forget to take a angle grinder and put a cool wicked angle to then beautify the guy with paint.