US Marine engines, Auburn WA - Anyone have any experiences with them??

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Last fall I bought a new small block for my 30' Tolly from them, over the fall and winter I got my old one out and and swapped everything over and installed, finally fired it off this week:mad: Lots of topend noise that a valve adjustment did nothing for so I get a hold of the "Warranty Dept" and even though its only an hour away they wont send someone to check it out, I have a feeling that the next email I get from the guy is going to tell me to pull it and bring it back to them. I'm not pulling it for a topend problem!!

Fun Times

Staff member
Re: US Marine engines, Auburn WA - Anyone have any experiences with them??

Sorry to hear of your troubles with your new engine, Unfortunately things like this happen. I hope they will work with you someway somehow. Good luck.:)

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Last fall I bought a new small block for my 30' Tolly from them, over the fall and winter I got my old one out and and swapped everything over and installed, finally fired it off this week:mad: Lots of topend noise that a valve adjustment did nothing for so I get a hold of the "Warranty Dept" and even though its only an hour away they wont send someone to check it out, I have a feeling that the next email I get from the guy is going to tell me to pull it and bring it back to them. I'm not pulling it for a topend problem!!

Not sure that they *should* be expected to send someone over to "check it out"

I have NEVER found a machine shop that would do "house calls".......... but they DO have a process for warranty work/repair http://www.usenginesinc.com/Marine_warranty.doc and it even includes shipping coverage.

They'll probably look at it if you drag the boat down there though. (maybe a 30ft Tolly is a bit hard to drag down the highway....)

I installed a 3.0L longblock from them a few years ago and it was (and still is) trouble free.

What are the people who bought engines from them with no problems saying? I'll answer that, they're pretty much silent because they went on with their lives. The vast majority of people DON'T have problems and don't report it.

The people WITH problems, scream the loudest. but you usually only see the first or second iteration of their "saga" and usually don't hear about the resolution. You would probably find that a fair number of "problems" are caused by the installer/buyer. But they never admit it was their own fault.......

Don't get me wrong, I am NOT even suggesting that it's your fault....but if you don't take the engine back to them and at least allow them to try and "fix" the problem, then the only way to do it will be to have someone else look at it AND according to their warranty, you have to get their authorization first.

Now having said that, since marine engine rebuilding is NOT Electrical Engineering, I would probably just have the local engine rebuilder build an engine for my own boat.....

Good luck,

Rick

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks guys, One of the reasons I went with these guys is because they are local and told me that they are "accustomed to the issues of motor work in larger boats". If they're at the same place that I picked the motor up from it would serve them right if I had it hauled down there, I could barely get my pickup into the parking lot, couldnt imagine how a 30' boat with no trailer would screw them up!

In my last email I suggested that they could hire a company located in my marina to check it out and to that I got no response, I've got a bad feeling these guys are going to be no help, mostly because their communication sucks (1 short email yesterday and no reply today)

Walt T

Lieutenant

HT32 makes very good points. However the communication issue seems to be a common thread in all the complaints. They should respond and have someone local look at it. Its not rocket science.

alldodge

Staff member

Thanks guys, One of the reasons I went with these guys is because they are local and told me that they are "accustomed to the issues of motor work in larger boats". If they're at the same place that I picked the motor up from it would serve them right if I had it hauled down there, I could barely get my pickup into the parking lot, couldnt imagine how a 30' boat with no trailer would screw them up!

In my last email I suggested that they could hire a company located in my marina to check it out and to that I got no response, I've got a bad feeling these guys are going to be no help, mostly because their communication sucks (1 short email yesterday and no reply today)

It would be very nice if they would send someone to have a look, but Merc doesn't even do that. Buddy just bought a Merc repower (385HP 7.4L closed cooling) and one of the freeze plugs has a leak. It is behind the motor mount and cool fuel so getting to it will be a bear. Took a picture , contacted Merc, and Merc said they would authorize 1 1/2 hours for repair. Merc would not pay to send a tech out to the 37 foot cruiser, the motor would need to be brought to the dealer.

I kind of have to agree with them, it would just be to costly for a manufacture to do this. You could be right down the street and if they authorized it, the next guy could be just the other side of town, and so on. If they were a manufacture which gave full service on what ever they sold, we probably wouldn't buy it from them because they would be higher then another.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

It would be very nice if they would send someone to have a look, but Merc doesn't even do that. Buddy just bought a Merc repower (385HP 7.4L closed cooling) and one of the freeze plugs has a leak. It is behind the motor mount and cool fuel so getting to it will be a bear. Took a picture , contacted Merc, and Merc said they would authorize 1 1/2 hours for repair. Merc would not pay to send a tech out to the 37 foot cruiser, the motor would need to be brought to the dealer.

I kind of have to agree with them, it would just be to costly for a manufacture to do this. You could be right down the street and if they authorized it, the next guy could be just the other side of town, and so on. If they were a manufacture which gave full service on what ever they sold, we probably wouldn't buy it from them because they would be higher then another.

Yes, and along those same lines, if a (Merc) dealer had installed a new engine, Mercury would likely be grinding on them to minimize the costs to fix. They would limit what they would pay the installing dealer probably leaving them holding the bag.....

Of course, some of those costs are already built into the original (much higher than places like USE) purchase price...........I am not trying to justify any of this. It's just the reality of it all.

Maybe if everyone who was in the market for buying a new engine called or wrote USE and told them that they were considering buying a an engine and then decided against it specifically because of their "perceived" poor warranty service, they would be a little more forthcoming in helping.......

But before I did that, I would want to speak to people who have had problems and actually got successful warranty service to make comparisons.

Just going on forum posts on the internet is not very scientific. Many people with boats do not even KNOW about iboats, Hulltruth, or other forums.

I really don't think you're going to get a lot of satisfaction unless you just pull the engine and cart it back down there to them. If you decide to do that, be absolutely sure you follow their warranty procedure to the letter!

I view their "warranty" like the "free" "lifetime" warranties that a LOT of auto dealers around the country are promoting these days......they have a LOT of "HOOPS" to jump through............ most of which even (incredibly) include a requirement that routine service like changing the oil MUST be performed by the selling dealer!! And if the owner does ANYTHING without prior "authorization" the warranty is PERMANENTLY NULL & VOID!!

I was looking at a used truck at a dealer several months ago and when he told me that the truck came with a lifetime warranty I LAUGHED IN HIS FACE and told him that I would NEVER buy a vehicle from his or any other dealer that offered a "lifetime" Warranty!!!

In your case, I would still follow their warranty procedure and see where that takes you. and if you do everything right, and it goes wrong, Lawyer up.

Sorry about that.

Rick

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I would figure that because they're so close that they would like to keep the work in house, if I was a long ways away hiring a local company would be the only option. The lack of communication from these people does not give me much confidence that they'll do anything about it in house or otherwise.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

Warranty process: please email usengine@comcast.net please include engine number or invoice number so we may determine what is wrong and how to further proceed. Damaged engine or parts must be returned for warranty claims. We will need your oil change records. There will be no warranty coverage unless you contact us first for authorization and all parts returned.

Labor coverage: Labor for repair shops is limited to $55.00 per hour based on factory time or reasonable time as agreed to before any repairs begin. All defective parts must be returned for credit or payment. Labor only covers our engine, no diagnostic time or other repairs.

We do not cover. Repairs that were not pre authorized. Damages caused from overheating, freeze cracking, operating with low or with old oil, piston damages, diagnosing time, damages caused in shipping, customers or installers.

You may have to "pull it" and take it to them. The "top-end" problem could be either a defective/failed lifter, plugged oil supply to that lifter or a flat cam, bent/wrong pushrod etc.....

They are probably going to want to determine exactly what.....

If you decide not to follow their warranty procedure, I am not sure you can blame it on them..... Just saying..

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Their "warranty procedure" isn't worth half the price of the paper its written on if they dont do anything about it, and if they dont do anything about it I will eventually fix it myself and collect repair costs from them in small claims court if need be. Even if they agreed to fix it if I brought the motor back to them that would be well beyond stupid for me because of what it cost me to get the motor out/in, their best option is to hire a local shop to fix it if they dont want to send someone to look at it themselves.

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

their best option is to hire a local shop to fix it if they dont want to send someone to look at it themselves.

Well, it looks like that might be one of the options they indicate in what I read in the Warranty.....

Step #1 though is to communicate with them. I would even be tempted to go directly to their shop and do it person with all the original documentation etc....

All I have read about warranty processes, complaints and resolutions suggests just about all the "turn-downs" that are upheld are usually where the person didn't follow the conditions of the warranty. (I'm not saying you have done this)

I would at least give them the opportunity to offer a fix. I couldn't find anything that says they expect you to "pull" the engine and bring it to them but they do say that they'll only "pay" $55/hr for someone else to fix it. (not including diagnosis I think)

Please come back here and let us all know what happens.

Several times a year someone comes on iboats either asking about their reputation or how a warranty fix goes. I don't remember many actually coming back and saying what happened.

I hope it works out!

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still no reply from these guys, I got to say the customer service is quite different from their sales staff...

alldodge

Staff member

Still no reply from these guys, I got to say the customer service is quite different from their sales staff...

Like many of the folks I have dealt with over the years, they have an out-of-sight guarantee, once your out of sight it's over

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

First, they requested you use email, you have done that, now its time to take it to a new level either by phone or in-person. It's FAR too easy to blow off someone's email and you are probably dealing with office help that could not care less. They have been given a boiler plate set of responses and that is all you will get until you do an end run around it. Squeaky wheel and all that...

AND unfortunately, there might have to be some "lawyering-up" if they do not respond.

I cannot believe they would want their reputation going downhill in one of the largest forums on the internet..... Word travels like wildfire.....

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Still no reply as of Wed. evening, unfortunately I have not had the time to drive down there, if there is no action by next week I may have the time for a little face time with these guys. In addition to to this they still haven't refunded my core deposit ($350) and I dropped of the core when I got the motor (sept 23) and this place wasn't that much cheaper than Mercruiser or Jasper at the end of the day, I spent $2900 and had to buy a oil pump and all the time it took to swap everything over next time I'll buy a ready to go Mercruiser or rebuild it myself.

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Ok, this is great, Finally a reply and it reads like this-

Sorry you have a warranty follow I understand you do not want to take it out and we do not want to waist our time coming down and find other problems. That's why we do not come to you and we do not pay other to work on our product unless we authorize repairs.

There is a 99% chance the installer bent a pushrod that not part of our warrenty we do not install use pushrods. And if your installer re-adjusted the rockers that can cause a noise. I cannot think of a single reason for rocker noise but a bent pushrod or there are bearing problems in that case the engine has to be returned.

Since the noise does not change bearing are good. Exhaust leakage will sound just like a loose rocker as will a fuel pump. Charlie

That Ladies and Gentlemen is the second reply from US Marine Engine, grammer, spelling and all. In previous Emails I told them that the motor has no mechanical fuel pump or internal hardware for one, I also told them that its not an exhaust leak. I dont know how the "installer" could bend a push rod while putting on the valve covers?? A then there is the whole time bending conundrum of how I created the noise that I was trying to fix while adjusting the rockers??

I'll keep you all posted...

Walt T

Lieutenant

It's from India customer support. You're screwed. "Lawyering up" is gonna cost you more than the motor just by a retainer so it's pointless other than maybe get a letter written. I'm sure they've had many of those so they'll ignore it. Sue em in small claims and they ignore that too, you get a default judgement and ... so what? Give it the old college try, let others know to stay away, and cut your losses.

rthomas

Petty Officer 2nd Class

***UPDATE***
Ive given up on them fixing the motor and instead have focused on getting my core deposit back, they claim the motor I gave them was rotted out, funny thing it was a truck motor and never been in a boat, I told them I had the serial number for the block and heads and wanted them back and the POS manager "joe" asked if I was threatening him and hung up on me.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY! THEY WILL SCREW YOU!!