Hours of labor to replace the long block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seaman
1999 4.3L currently in boat. 2bbl. Anyone have a mercruiser flat rate manual? I've gotten 2 quotes. One for 10 hours and the other for 35 hours.

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Hours of labor to replace the long block?

1999 4.3L currently in boat. 2bbl. Anyone have a mercruiser flat rate manual? I've gotten 2 quotes. One for 10 hours and the other for 35 hours.

Ayuh,.... 10 hours ain't enough,.... 35 might be pretty close,... Complete, from start to Done,...

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner

usually about 8 to switch everything over once the motors out.R/R the motor around 2 ish, depending on access to everything, realign and mount drive about an hour.

Seaman

So less than 15 hours? I'm getting so many different opinions on this.

tpenfield

Staff member

35 hours sounds like a long time . . . 10 would be a miracle worker at the wrench . . . I think somewhere in the middle is reasonable.

It kind of depends on the mechanic and what they have equipment-wise and experience.

woody66912

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I give 13 hours, and usually come in at 11 ish. The reason I go 13 is sometimes I have to remove stuff just to pull it.

Fastatv

Petty Officer 1st Class

Having done this a few times, years ago, 15 to 18 hours at most. There are variables and snags but, an experienced mech and with the correct tools, 15 hours or so. Those that are quoting 35 hours.....hmmmm...? Rick

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

I'm a nobody, I bought a cheap engine stand, borrowed an engine hoist and used a forklift to remove my engine (5.0FL)...I came in around 15 hours of actual wrench/shop time...I'd say 2 full days for an experienced shop w/ water test? BTW, mine was a short block!

Why not tackle it yourself?

tpenfield

Staff member

I'm a nobody, I bought a cheap engine stand, borrowed an engine hoist and used a forklift to remove my engine (5.0FL)...I came in around 15 hours of actual wrench/shop time...I'd say 2 full days for an experienced shop w/ water test? BTW, mine was a short block!

Why not tackle it yourself?

No you are not . . . :)

Walt T

Lieutenant

Access to the engine is always a factor. Engines below the floor take much longer to remove than a midmount skiboat engine. Once it's out there is dis-assembly, cleaning of gasket material, sometimes repair/replacement of parts now much easier to access ie; starter, fuel pump, hoses, manifolds and risers are always replaced. Usually 3 x 8 hour days is enough to do the entire job start to finish which allows for things that always come up like broken bolts, parts not easily available, sometimes have rusted bolts needing to be carefully removed from components, and sometimes I've even found broken bolts still in the new long block. THEN there's dealing with the drive, bolts corroded, broken, and then U Joints, gimbals, seals, bellows, etc.

There is no flat rate manual for boats like there are for cars. I can always look at a boat and just by my experience know how long it will take me for removal and installation in that particular hull. I always recommend U joints, seals, bellows, gimbal, then ask how old the manifold and risers are but since I'm warranting it will most likely replace them. You can see the peripherals adding to the time quite easily. The drive maintenance alone can take a few hours. After all, I don't want the customer to come back for a gimbal I should have replaced and now I have to do for free. I have found allowing for 3 full days is reasonable and I can nearly always come in under that. Some shops will quote a time and that's what you pay, others will add time if it takes longer due to unforseen circumstances. You should understand their policy before you let them start so there are no unpleasant misunderstandings. The very low hour quotes will be added on to once they have it torn apart and can hold you hostage. Ask questions, talk to the service guys, see what your gut tells you. People that don't quite look you in the eyes, give very vague answers, look like homeless people, apparently have no dental insurance, can give you an idea of how the business is run. If you can, try to engage a mechanic in conversation even if it's just asking how he likes that pin up picture on his toolbox because that's the business owners daughter and when he looks all surprised you can see if he has one of those lazy eyes that rolls around in all directions which can cause him to try to install your motor backwards which can be detrimental to the performance of the boat and of course they'll charge more hours to change the engine rotation because by golly they sent them a backward rotation long block.

chrisf695

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Access to the engine is always a factor. Engines below the floor take much longer to remove than a midmount skiboat engine. Once it's out there is dis-assembly, cleaning of gasket material, sometimes repair/replacement of parts now much easier to access ie; starter, fuel pump, hoses, manifolds and risers are always replaced. Usually 3 x 8 hour days is enough to do the entire job start to finish which allows for things that always come up like broken bolts, parts not easily available, sometimes have rusted bolts needing to be carefully removed from components, and sometimes I've even found broken bolts still in the new long block. THEN there's dealing with the drive, bolts corroded, broken, and then U Joints, gimbals, seals, bellows, etc.

There is no flat rate manual for boats like there are for cars. I can always look at a boat and just by my experience know how long it will take me for removal and installation in that particular hull. I always recommend U joints, seals, bellows, gimbal, then ask how old the manifold and risers are but since I'm warranting it will most likely replace them. You can see the peripherals adding to the time quite easily. The drive maintenance alone can take a few hours. After all, I don't want the customer to come back for a gimbal I should have replaced and now I have to do for free. I have found allowing for 3 full days is reasonable and I can nearly always come in under that. Some shops will quote a time and that's what you pay, others will add time if it takes longer due to unforseen circumstances. You should understand their policy before you let them start so there are no unpleasant misunderstandings. The very low hour quotes will be added on to once they have it torn apart and can hold you hostage. Ask questions, talk to the service guys, see what your gut tells you. People that don't quite look you in the eyes, give very vague answers, look like homeless people, apparently have no dental insurance, can give you an idea of how the business is run. If you can, try to engage a mechanic in conversation even if it's just asking how he likes that pin up picture on his toolbox because that's the business owners daughter and when he looks all surprised you can see if he has one of those lazy eyes that rolls around in all directions which can cause him to try to install your motor backwards which can be detrimental to the performance of the boat and of course they'll charge more hours to change the engine rotation because by golly they sent them a backward rotation long block.

+1 !!!

Bamaman1

Lieutenant Commander

Pulling the motor and installing it is not that big of a deal. Last I/O I pulled took me maybe 1 hour to get on a stand.

It all depends on how good they are as a heavy engine mechanic. (Not all marine mechanics are engine builders.) My recently departed son in law was a Chevy race mechanic (Pro Stocks), and he could have the engine parts swapped over in a jiffy.

But there's no reason to do such a job unless the rear end of the boat is properly done--bellows, bearings, lower unit, etc. If you go to the trouble of putting a long block in, you want the rest of the boat to be at 100%. That's where the time could be spent. And that's where the skills of a trained marine mechanic come into play.

Good luck on your project.

Last edited:

bajaunderground

Lieutenant

...People that don't quite look you in the eyes, give very vague answers, look like homeless people, apparently have no dental insurance, can give you an idea of how the business is run. If you can, try to engage a mechanic in conversation even if it's just asking how he likes that pin up picture on his toolbox because that's the business owners daughter and when he looks all surprised you can see if he has one of those lazy eyes that rolls around in all directions which can cause him to try to install your motor backwards which can be detrimental to the performance of the boat and of course they'll charge more hours to change the engine rotation because by golly they sent them a backward rotation long block.

That's funny right there, I don't care who you are!

Walt, what part of CO do you reside...and yes, I have all my teeth both eyes look in the same direction, most of the time!

feffr

Cadet

Hi, just did a 5.7 the last couple of weekends , stripped all the parts I would need to swap over removed engine , installed l/block and rest of the parts took me about 18 -20 hours and I detailed all the parts I had to reinstall, I am close by in new bern if you need more info regards Bob

Camnikl

Recruit
I was looking for the same thing, I just finished a 5.7 Volvo Penta in a 2007 Four Winns friendship all in all I had the boat for 30 days but had the engine got here in adequate a time I would have had it done in 5. And that is doing it on my off time after I miss the first date deadline I just did it on my own leisure. So I think I've got it least 15 to 20 hours in it. Swapping over intakes, pulling down main bearing and oil pan to put in crank shroud fuel system oil system then put the front end of the engine back together see pump water pump alternator power steering pump fuel pump valve covers. Don't forget about pulling the outdrive then line and it back up and put it back in . it's a lot of work.
I will say though I had a great time doing it. pulled the engine out and 5 minutes put the engine back in by myself in 11 minutes with a Bobcat skid-steer and 1 inch strap too it twisted around.

Attachments

• photo298494.jpg
    photo298494.jpg
    963.9 KB · Views: 6
  • photo298495.jpg
    photo298495.jpg
    665.2 KB · Views: 6
Status
Not open for further replies.