Engine drain plug locations

duoranger

Cadet
First time on this motor. I have a 94 searay 180 signature with a 4.3 mercruiser. I want to know where the drain plugs are in the motor so I can winterize. A picture would be helpful or a diagram. Thanks.

duoranger

Cadet
Re: Engine drain plug locations

thanks i forgot to say the engine is a 6 cyl 1994 mercruiser thank you

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Hi Duoranger, The easiest way for us to look anything up for you in the future is to include the engine (or drive) serial number. This gives us exactly what you have and saves having to keep asking you for details... Some of us put that information in our signature file. Signature file can be elaborate, a bit like mine, or as simple a a few lines of text, like Mr Dodge, in the post above you....

Your drain points are...
One each side of the engine block, one under each manifold (remove the hose from the bottom or the drain plug if equipped), one on the power steering oil cooler (again remove the hose to drain). Also remove and drain the large hose on the engine water pump...

Cheers....

Last edited:

duoranger

Cadet

well the weather has been so nice its taken me awhile to winterize my boat i looked at it the other day and only could find two drain plugs in the motor it a 4.3 1994 mercruiser engine serial number of153641 are there any more THANKS

Bondo

Staff member

well the weather has been so nice its taken me awhile to winterize my boat i looked at it the other day and only could find two drain plugs in the motor it a 4.3 1994 mercruiser engine serial number of153641 are there any more THANKS

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,.... Which 2 did ya find,..??

alldodge

Staff member

From your serial number I'm going to guess you found the two blue plugs on each side of the exhaust manifolds. There are two others below each exhaust manifold which are 7/16 brass plugs (small pipe type plugs). The starboard side will be next to the oil dip stick tube. There is one more under the engine on your power steering cooler. The cooler has a water hose on each end and two hydraulic PS hoses on it. The 7/16 plug is on the bottom of it.

Remember to note the rest info outline by achris in post # 4

duoranger

Cadet

thanks ill look my boat has a bench seat and little room to work with two cut outs on each side of the motor you almost have to stand on your head to look are there any pictures so i can get a better look . thanks for putting up with me.

duoranger

Cadet

i found the two 7/16 one on each side of the bottom of the motor one was by the dip stick i drained them i found four 9/16 two on the top of the manifolds i only got 1 to loosen they never were taken off no marks on the bolts from a wrench drained the water from the hoses and poured rv fluid down them 2 bottles worth looked for the one by power steering cooler could not find it ill keep on looking thanks

alldodge

Staff member

i found the two 7/16 one on each side of the bottom of the motor one was by the dip stick i drained them i found four 9/16 two on the top of the manifolds i only got 1 to loosen they never were taken off no marks on the bolts from a wrench drained the water from the hoses and poured rv fluid down them 2 bottles worth looked for the one by power steering cooler could not find it ill keep on looking thanks

There are no 9/16 drain plugs that should be removed on the exhaust manifolds. According to your serial number you should have had two blue plastic wing nut type plugs , one on each side on the bottom of the exhaust manifolds. I don't know which plugs your referring to that are 9/16.

Find your power steering lines that come from your pump to the steering ram. The other line coming from the steering ram will go to you power steering cooler.

alldodge

Staff member
Probably should start another thread being this one is 4 years old, but you did start it originally

You had milk oil, so it was changed and motor was run for 6 hours and oil still looks good with no milk. That being the case I don't see an issue unless your still getting foam under the oil cap

alldodge

Staff member
My guess is either your thermostat is stuck open, your gauge and/or sender is going out, or the sender ground is getting bad