pump gas to start without shifting bravo

tailwind 67

Seaman Apprentice
My three year project is finishing up. I have rebuilt my 1990 Mecruiser 5.7 completley and have run it in my boat several times without the shift cables or thottle cable hooked up. I have a Bravo 2 stern drive mated to it.
I have read that you should not shift the bravo sterndrives with the engine stopped. Since there is a carb on the engine, how do you pump gas for a start without shifting into forward? Just like the old cars with a carb, often you needed to pump the gas a couple times to start the engine if it hasn't been running for a while. For my starts in the boat to date, I just moved the throttle lever on the carb with my finger. Once I hooked the cable up and it was sitting for a couple of days, cranking did not want to catch the engine right away since I hadn't pumped the throttle. I disconnected the cable, pumped it a couple times, and it started right up.
I don't want to damage the stern drive by moving the throttle/shift lever with the engine stopped.
Thanks for your help.

tpenfield

Staff member
Re: pump gas to start without shifting bravo

There should be a button on the throttle/shifter that disengages the shifting mechanism so the throttle can advance separately. When you return the throttle to the idle position the shift should re-engage.

TilliamWe

Banned

Take a picture of and post your throttle/shifter handle. You'll see the button tpenfield describes. Or it'll be different, but we can explain it to you. ;)

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

Some handles require that you grasp it and pull towards the center of the boat to disengage the shifting portion. You can then move the throttle forward without engaging forward gear. Pull back to neutral to re-engage after the engine starts.