VP outdrives interchangeability

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I originally posted here http://forums.iboats.com/boat-topic...olvo-outdrives-were-painted-white-590470.html but since Don's answers have generated more specific questions regarding the drivetrain setup I thought I'd start a new thread here.

I'm looking at a '86 Bayliner with 305 motor mated to VP275 drive. From what I understand the drive is not original and was replaced at some point with earlier model.

My questions are:

1. What might be the original drive on this boat and is there a way to find out exactly?
2. How wide is array of VP drive models which will fit there without major modifications?
2. Is current setup good enough or it would be a good idea to replace this drive with something else?

The reason I seek these answers because the boat is actually not exactly what I'm looking for being alittle too small. I can live with it for awhile if I get a good drivetrain setup. However if I'm looking at any potential issues with current setup I rather stay away and keep looking.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: VP outdrives interchangeability

1. What might be the original drive on this boat and is there a way to find out exactly?
What is the full model number and/or the Volvo serial number of the engien?

2. How wide is array of VP drive models which will fit there without major modifications?
Some 270, 275, 280 and 285 drives will all fit that transom shield,

2. Is current setup good enough or it would be a good idea to replace this drive with something else?

It's the same basics inside as the original drive, assuming it was a 280. Only difference is, the exhaust outlet is more streamlined than the 270's.
Good news is, if you wanted you could also remove only the lower unit from the drive, and install DuoProp lower and have an even more modern setup.

conv.jpg

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks again, Don.
The first question is actually not that important at this time unless I buy this boat and will ever need or want to replace the drive or modify by replacing the lower unit. At least I know now that it's not worse than the original. I'm going to see this boat on Sunday and good chances are I buy her and if yes I will be posting more specific questions later regarding PM.

captmello

Captain

a 275 outdrive could very well have come stock in that boat. My boat is an '88 model and came with a sbc and a 275 outdrive. Being that it's a different color does make one think it's been replaced.

Are you going to be able to water test it?

ONEGA

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Are you going to be able to water test it?

No way at the current price tag and this time of year in NJ, it's a win or loose game. However, I don't think there is much to loose even in a worst case scenario. Everything looks pretty neat besides regular tear and wear on upholstery.