mercruiser hook on outdrive while towing

Status
Not open for further replies.

wickedracer

Recruit
I was wondering were I can find a hook to hook the outdrive up so it doesn't put pressure on hydraulics while towing. I know they make them, we used to use them when I was a kid, and it held the outdrive in place so you can let the pressurre off the hydros while towing. I have seen the plastice sleeves but i would rather have the metal hook

Thanks to anyone who could help.....

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: mercruiser hook on outdrive while towing

Welcome to iBoats....

Firstly, those hooks aren't made anymore.. Secondly, the hook point on the gimbal housing doesn't exist anymore (on 1983 and later housings)...

Chris.......

Bondo

Staff member

Ayuh,... Welcome Aboard,... It's really not necessary,...

the trim is used to lift the boat outa the water, under throttle...

The weight of the drive amounts to near nothin'...

fishrdan

Admiral

Get a set of trailering clips if you want to support the drive up while towing. Could prevent some damage if a hydraulic line pops while towing. ( I popped 2 within a couple months, cheap aftermarket parts :rolleyes:)

pevaguy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

There is a cheaper and easier option, tilt up, have a helper place a short section of a 2X4 in place to be clamped where the outdrive can't tilt down. Cheap and easy.

Luposian

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have one on my Mercruiser Stern Drive, but the rubberized coating is gone and it’s all rusted to shame. Figure, since they no longer exist, I’ll have to either clean and restore or have a new one made. I’m sure a welding shop could make one easily enough.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never saw the need for one. each cylinder is capable of just shy of 7000# of force, holding a 75# drive is nothing

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I have one on my Mercruiser Stern Drive, but the rubberized coating is gone and it’s all rusted to shame. Figure, since they no longer exist, I’ll have to either clean and restore or have a new one made. I’m sure a welding shop could make one easily enough.

Did you notice this thread is almost 7 years old?

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.