Help! How to determine max hp and max speed for MerCruiser Alpha engine?

cparsons

Recruit
We recently bought a used boat and are trying to get it insured. The insurance agent follow up to ask what the maximum horsepower and speed are. I'm stumped as to where to look up the specs for our engine, and the boat is not easily accessible at the moment.

Here's the info I have:

MerCruiser Alpha (I think it's either a 1999 or 2000 because the boat is a 2000 model but the engine operator's manual has a 1999 copyright on it)
Engine model and horsepower number: 0L846868
Engine is somewhere between the range of 4.3 L and 5 L.

Does anyone know from this info what the max hp and speed are, or where I can go to look up this information with the engine model and horsepower number that I have? I've googled, but haven't been able to find the information anywhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Carrie

Jerryh3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Help! How to determine max hp and max speed for MerCruiser Alpha engine?

We recently bought a used boat and are trying to get it insured. The insurance agent follow up to ask what the maximum horsepower and speed are. I'm stumped as to where to look up the specs for our engine, and the boat is not easily accessible at the moment.

Here's the info I have:

MerCruiser Alpha (I think it's either a 1999 or 2000 because the boat is a 2000 model but the engine operator's manual has a 1999 copyright on it)

Does anyone know from this info what the max hp and speed are, or where I can go to look up this information with the engine model and horsepower number that I have? I've googled, but haven't been able to find the information anywhere.

Carrie
That serial number is for the outdrive and not the engine. What size is the boat? Do you have any pictures?

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

That is the serial number for the outdrive, not your engine. There is a tag just above and aft of the starter that has the engine serial number on it. If you can't get in there to see it, think about a digital camera.

69GTOby

Seaman Apprentice

Here's the info I have:

Carrie

If you need the "max horsepower" allowable for your boat, it should be specified on the capacity plate near the driver's seat for outboard equipped boats. But, since you have a sterndrive setup, you must look at the specs for the engine. Sometimes the specs are right on the engine hat, it will say something like, "5.0LX Alpha One 230 Horsepower." If it is not right on the hat, look on the port side valve cover near the front of the engine. There should be a label there with several important pieces of engine info, including the horsepower rating of the engine. If it is a '99 5.0L, it is probably fuel injected, and those engines produce 260 HP. As for the top speed, I would just guess. If it's a typical ~19' vessal with 200 some HP, it ought to go something like 50 MPH. If they need a more specific top speed, figure out your engine HP, and search Google for a boat top speed calculator, they are there, type in your info, and there you have an estimate. Or just go out and find out for yourself.

cparsons

Recruit

That is the serial number for the outdrive, not your engine. There is a tag just above and aft of the starter that has the engine serial number on it. If you can't get in there to see it, think about a digital camera.

OK, the engine serial number is 0L723357. Then there's another sticker number in the front inside of our MerCruiser operator's manual that also says 0L650437, but I'm not sure what that number is for.

Thanks for your help!
Carrie

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The number 0L650437 is for a 4.3L engine with 190hp.
It'S also not uncommon for engines to be different years than the boat is.

Speed depends on a lot of things, including hull shape, trim, weight etc. Best thing to do is post over in the Boat topics forum with your type boat, and you engine size and HP rating. Maybe some one there has the same boat as you and can tell you what speed they get.

cparsons

Recruit

This is excellent info. Thanks so much for helping me out!