Idiots with JB Weld

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer
Just removed the intake manifold on a friends 1990 Merc 4.3 V6 after finding water in the oil, and here is what I found. Some idiot [likely the previous owner] actually thought he could repair his cracked block with JB Weld.... :eek: Time for a new block.

DSC_0432-1.jpg

DSC_0433.jpg

Bondo

Staff member
Re: Idiots with JB Weld

Just removed the intake manifold on a friends 1990 Merc 4.3 V6 after finding water in the oil, and here is what I found. Some idiot actually thought he could repair his cracked block with JB Weld....

Ayuh,... I'd say it worked Perfectly...

It held long enough for yer Bud, to buy it...

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Peeled away the JB Weld, and found another surprise. They tried to braze it too... Can't believe someone would go to this much trouble, instead of just replacing the block.

DSC_0434.jpg

paultjohnson

Lieutenant Commander

Curious,,, Did your bud just buy the boat without any of this being disclosed by the previous owner ? i mean, was is a blatant rip-off ?

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

He bought it about a year and a half ago, and it seemed to run fine then. It has not been used much until recently.

fishrdan

Admiral

That's a mess, sorry to hear about it.

Some idiot actually thought he could repair his cracked block with JB Weld.... :eek:

Peeled away the JB Weld, and found another surprise. They tried to braze it too...

Surprised there wasn't a wad of duct tape in there too, just incase the JB failed :facepalm:

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Makes you really want to run out and buy a boat sold "as is" from a private seller doesn't it.

bgc

Ensign

That's a mess, sorry to hear about it.

Surprised there wasn't a wad of duct tape in there too, just incase the JB failed :facepalm:

Hello? Duct tape is for fuel lines and electrical system repair...

jeromeb

Cadet

Peeled away the JB Weld, and found another surprise. They tried to braze it too... Can't believe someone would go to this much trouble, instead of just replacing the block.

DSC_0434.jpg

Wow, That's a real first class brazing job too. :D

300sflyer

Chief Petty Officer

Purhaps if I chip away at some of the brazing, I will find some chewing gum in there as well... LOL!

bnicov

Petty Officer 1st Class

See, if the PO had used Duct tape, there would not be a problem. That sucks for your buddy.

Fl_Richard

Lieutenant

The JB Weld package states - "Farmer Joe repaired his John deer engine block with a tube of JB saving him a $15,000 dollar repair"

Obviously your guy did it wrong :)

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

The JB Weld package states - "Farmer Joe repaired his John deer engine block with a tube of JB saving him a $15,000 dollar repair"

Obviously your guy did it wrong :)

No wonder it failed! A GM does not a John Deere make. Most obvious misuse of a fine product. And no silicone, a half-hearted repair indeed!

zopperman

Lieutenant Commander

So my cracked block is going to leak again... crap...

AZSenza

Chief Petty Officer

Depends on what part of the block your trying to fix! Pressurized areas "Not Included"