can you convert a carburated motor to EFI?

Captain Jaxon

Seaman Apprentice
Re: can you convert a carburated motor to EFI?

If you are building the motor, or plan to, go with Vortec iron heads. You can make more power out of them than AL heads. Use a nice dual plane aftermarket intake and a bolt and go supercharger with 5-8 lbs of boost. Stock bottom ends do not like 10psi + of boost, but you are safe at 8, especially at the lower operating temps of marine apps with raw water. PM me if you need more info on the heads or have any Qs. It's bolt and go HP.

V

Bolt and go hp sounds great, but I don't know that I have room for a supercharger. Although I would love to hear the whine of a supercharger on my boat, I think I would save that for something where the motor is out there where everyone can see and here it.

Volphin

Lieutenant

Oh, they will hear ya all right. LOL SCs are also a big investment. :( The heads & intake aren't though. 500 for heads (boneyard heads reworked and ported) and 250 for intake.

V

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

Oh, they will hear ya all right. LOL SCs are also a big investment. :( The heads & intake aren't though. 500 for heads (boneyard heads reworked and ported) and 250 for intake.

V

New vortecs arent much more than boneyard units. and intakes prices are all over the map (from 180 - 500) depending on what you want.