Where is my fuel filter!

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, I have a 1999 SeaRay SunDeck 210, Mercruiser 5.0L EFI, I/O. Need to change the fluid. Found the oil filter (back, way back on the right side if you are facing the engine from the cockpit. Need to change the fuel filter, but nothing I see even remotely looks like the picture in the manual. Near the front of the engine, there is something similiar that is connected to the gas tank, however I cannot manipulate this at all. the manual says to remove the fuel seperating filter first, but the unit (fuel pump?) is one solid piece. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Where is my fuel filter!

Amazing what one can find in a service manual. http://www.4shared.com/document/Pss92fbC/Service_Manual_24.html

attachment.php

Attachments

• filter.jpg
    filter.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 7

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the link to the service manual, super helpful!

I took a picture of what I think is my fuel filter, both for confirmation and for future reference.

Does anyone have suggestions for working in such a tight space?

Greenwich-20110528-00062.jpg

Don S

Yes, that is your fuel filter.

Tight?????? That is downright spacious compared to most of the boats I've worked on.

Bondo

Staff member

Yes, that is your fuel filter.

Tight?????? That is downright spacious compared to most of the boats I've worked on.

'ell ya,... There's enough room there for Two guys to work,...

Even if they ain't Friends...

I love the barge's ya gotta pull the motor to change sparkplugs...

Btw,... I've had Issues with those Efi's needin' a Pre-filled filter to pick up their prime...
even if it ain't full...

Joshua Nichols

Lieutenant

Tight maybe if you was removing the oil pan.. :facepalm: It doesn't look that bad to me.. Guess it makes a difference being there...:D

Lefty loosey Righty tighty....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks for the advice. And laughs. :)

So, here i am trying to remove the filter and cannot figure it out. There is a cover over the filter. The manual says there are some snap type devices that need to be loosened first but for the life of me i cannot figure it out. Any help is appreciated.

Don S

Personally, I would rip the thing off and throw it away instead of wasting days figuring out how to remove it. Haven't seen one in years and don't remember what the trick was. All it does is gets in the way and makes things 'purdy' for the show room floor.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks but i really want to replace it. Have ordered a new one. Anyone know how this thing comes off? I tried again, and no luck. Thanks.

Bondo

Staff member

Thanks but i really want to replace it. Have ordered a new one. Anyone know how this thing comes off? I tried again, and no luck. Thanks.

Ayuh,... In Don's picture, piece a, lower portside, is the clasp, pry out on it, 'n either the top comes off, or the bottom slides down...

Personally, I'd RIP it off, 'n give it the Float Test....

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer

Thanks to all for the advice to date. I found the fuel filter and am having trouble getting it off. I have a few filter wrenches to try, but that is not the reason i am here. The manual says to find a suitable method to stop the flow of fuel, as in shut off the fuel valve. The manual does not show any pictures however, so am not even sure i have a shut off valve. What is the best way to ensure when i take the filter off, gas is not spilling in my engine compartment? Thanks.

Brewman61

Ensign

You'll probably spill a bit of gas. You can stuff a bunch of rags under the filter, and that'll likely catch most of it. If you wanna be belts and suspenders, put a container of some sort underneath. Just remember to turn the filter the correct way to loosen it. I'd ditch that cover if I were you. I have a similar setup to yours, but no cover, and nothing seems to be suffering for it.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1997SeaRay SunDeck240 has a screen in the fuel pick up tube located in the fuel tank and also the water/ fuel seperator located where you seperator is located. Remember you will have to turn it in the clockwise direction since it is screwed in the bottom of the seperator. I would also put fuel in the new filter before you screw it back in. Just be a little careful.

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

counter clockwise to remove it.