Fuel Flow Meter Question - what you recommend

BoatingTimbo

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i would like to install a fuel flow meter this season. Boats powered by single Mercruiser 5.7L EFI.

I don't want to spend a fortune

From some research it looks like the options are:
- Floscan 5500
- Lowrance LMF-200
- Northstar F210

I have an older Garmin Chartplotter that is not compatible with buying the add-on sensor so i have to go gauge mounted in my cluster. Do all above work on EFI mercruisers?

Anyone with any experience they can share or recommendations?

Thanks!

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Fuel Flow Meter Question - what you recommend

I have a Navman 2100 (exactly the same as the Northstar F210) in my boat, with a 4.3MPI Merc. Works a treat....

Just one tip (with any of them). Try to mount the sensor so the fuel must flow up through it, improves the accuracy....

HTH,

Chris.....

HT32BSX115

Supreme Mariner

i would like to install a fuel flow meter this season. Boats powered by single Mercruiser 5.7L EFI.

I don't want to spend a fortune

From some research it looks like the options are:
- Floscan 5500
- Lowrance LMF-200
- Northstar F210

I have an older Garmin Chartplotter that is not compatible with buying the add-on sensor so i have to go gauge mounted in my cluster. Do all above work on EFI mercruisers?

Anyone with any experience they can share or recommendations?

Thanks!

Howdy,

I have the Lowrance LMF-200 and an HDS-5 GPS/Sonar and a complete Lowrance-Net set up.

I love it. If you have an HDS you don't really need the display but I do like it.

Fireman431

Rear Admiral

And to round it out, I have the FloScan 5500 (5532) model. It also works great, so I don't think whatever you opt for will be a problem. It's pretty much not rocket science, so it appears they all do their jobs well.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I also own a Navman and the only suggestion I would make with that unit besides the previously mentioned vertical mounting, is that you shock mount it. The turbines in these transducers are very fragile so they must be protected from shock.

axolotl

Cadet

Well said !
Had the Nav for 2 seasons. Very very accurate, after almost 92 gallons have gone through, it had an accuracy deviation of 2,6% !! Awesome !
But... within these 2 seasons, I had to replace twice the little turbine impeller sensor. It stuck and needed replacement.. bugger.
A few months ago, I got a Lowrance LMF-200 with relevant sensor, and seems to be as accurate as the Nav. However, cant tell yet about the sensor ...

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Also, I have a spare 231 or 20b sensor in my garageif you can find a deal on just the gauge. I would let it go cheap.

krisnowicki

Lieutenant Junior Grade

HA I have a 5500 Floscan cant beat it, got it cheap on ebay and if it is wrong and you get towed in they pay... what a guarantee.