Merc Engine Harness/Smartcraft data

badrano

Petty Officer 1st Class
In my continuing efforts to learn.....

I was looking over the engine harness and referencing the wiring diagram in the #31 manual so that I can identify all the sensors, etc.
I noticed that some connectors are not connected to anything such as fuel level, digital trim, transom harness, etc.

I've read up and found that I have ECM-555 which supports Smartcraft and I've started to look for the NMEA 2000 gateway so that I can display engine data on my GPS. Reading the Smartcraft info, I'm really interested in fuel data such as fuel used, gal/hr, etc.

Since I noticed the engine harness connector for fuel level is not connected to anything, will this affect the fuel data? Or does the ECM just know that each time an injector fires, a certain amount of fuel is being used?

If the fuel level connector needs to be connected to the fuel tank, it is a simple as connecting to the float level output that feeds the fuel gauge? I found it interesting that this fuel level connector is located at the back of the engine near the power steering cooler.

Greg_E

Chief Petty Officer
I can't answer that question but you may find the information you are looking for in manual #36.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Hi

unless you have the proper sender to suit, all you do is tell the smart craft vessel view how much fuel you have put in the tank. It then tells you the fuel used by measuring what the injectors are throwing out etc. It’s very very accurate.
so basically. Run the tank down to a safe estimate of empty or nearly empty. That gives you a starting point. Then just tell the vessel view what you’ve put in. It will then tell you all you need to know. Range, time left, current usage etc etc.