Bilge Blower

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bilge Blower

So I've had 3 I/Os over the years, all of them aluminum FWIW. One of the 3 boats had a nice quiet bilge blower. The other two including my current boat, it sounds like the blower is going to vibrate apart.

Is there anything like a higher quality bilge blower? If so could someone recommend one?

I appreciate any info.

I was in the same position about a year and half ago, and I never found a 'top of the line' blower. Most of them look like what I bought (a 'Seaflo'), down to identical plastic housings and identical specs for CFM, motor, etc. I assume there are one or two companies that make most of them and the units just get rebranded.

Anyway, the Seaflo unit I bought isn't whisper quiet, but it is substantially better than the one it replaced. I'd give it a qualified recommendation.
    Location: West Central Illinois, USA 1997 Larson 186 SEi Bowrider I/O Mercruiser 350 #0F747565 Mag Alpha One Gen II #1A270120 Transom and Deck Restoration Project on my '97 Larson Bowrider

Comment

I cant hear my blower over the "Potato Potato Potato" of my exhaust. my last batch of blowers came from Worst Marine as I needed them on a sunday. same as the attwood I replaced.
      Cheesehead boating the Gulf Coast of FLA 27.51° N, 82.53° W

1988 Cruisers Rogue 2420 -VP 290 DP now powered by custom 468 - https://forums.iboats.com/forum/owner...988-rogue-2420

Past Boats
      1970 Wooster Hellion - Merc 9.8
      2002 SeaRay 190BR - 5.0 - A1G2 - "Cheeseheads in Paradise"
      1984 Avanti 170DLI -3.0 stringer- "Ship Happens"

What’s behind you doesn’t matter.Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Not sure you can find one real quite, they need to move a lot of air. My Formula also has Seaflow

I run them till the motor is running, then I turn it off
        94 Formula 27PC Custom 509MPI MEFI3 , B3 XR
        95 Rinker 232 w/ 7.4L Carb 0F425011 B1 0F486471
        07 Seadoo GTX
        Merc Adults Only VP Adults Only
        G-Dad always said "First Liar doesn't stand a chance"

Comment

How is it mounted? Might be turning the fiberglass into a resonator if it is solid mounted. Try some rubber isolator bushings when you mount it.

Comment

The transom of my boat is aluminum outside with a big thick piece of marine ply on the inside. The blower is mounted to the plywood, but I'm sure the aluminum of the boat resonates the sound.

On a different boat I could here the air blowing noise, no vibration. I was totally fine with that. This boat, I can hardly hear the air blowing but boy oh boy that sucker has a vibration to it, , or something.

I thought about finding some vibration isolating mounts, but there's got to be some blower somewhere that is just quiet all by itself.

Comment

I would try to put some of that do it yourself gasket material under the blower mounts. The only blower of the type you find on small boats I have heard of that is rated for continuous duty is the Sureflo Yellow Tail.
              Note continuous duty rating:

https://image.fisheriessupply.com/f_...BlowerData.pdf
              1988 Four Winns 200 Horizon
              4.3 OMC Cobra

98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 Selectrac
              07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.7 Quadradrive II

"While air doesn't freeze....rust never sleeps"

Comment

https://www.iboats.com/shop/blowers-...-imf-3183.html

Most high quality boats use a squirrel cage blower because they last longer and are quite a bit quieter.
                I have converted a few boats for customers that feel safer running the blower at all times and don’t like the limited life span and noise of an in-line blower that most smaller boats come with.
                If you search a little, they can be found that accepts a hose on both ends.
                Good Luck Muc

Comment

https://www.iboats.com/shop/jabsco-h...flexmount.html

Here is the ones I used. Happy customers. But they had much more money then me.

I’m a fan of lifting the engine cover and smelling.
                  Good Luck Muc

Comment

Say now, I like those squirrel cage fans!! I'll have to give one of those some serious thought.

I don't run the fan 100% of the time, especially when on plane. At idle speeds I cycle it on and off, but man it's still annoying.

Thanks for all the tips!

Comment

Working...
                    X